Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Banned
5,324 Posts
It always sounds good in theory to cover the ring on the end of the neck, but sometimes it is not possible. It all depends upon the diameter of the ring and diameter of the interior of the mouthpiece shank. For example, on my SBA alto the ring is just .44 mm smaller than the inside of the mouthpieces I play. That means the cork would need to be sanded down to around .25 mm to fit. Even if that could be done, cork that thin on the end of the neck would never last very long anyway.

· Banned
5,324 Posts
How do you pronounce it?
It rhymes with "sterile".

The ferrule's purpose on a saxophone neck is to reinforce the end of the brass tube which is .70 mm (.028 ") or less thick and protect it from getting bent or damaged. Some of the older inexpensive student models did not have these and the ends of those necks easily crack once they have been bent and straightened a few times. It is similar to the brace at the bottom of the neck which helps to reinforce the curve and make it more difficult for the neck to get pulled down and go out of round. Just because manufacturers make these braces and rings look decorative does not mean that they do not have a structural purpose and function.

A protective ring does not have to be pressure fit or swaged in order to be called a ferrule so long as its function is to reinforce and protect the tubing it encloses.

· Banned
5,324 Posts
In the band instrument repair trade it is called a "ferrule". That is a fact. To me it is common sense that the ring reinforces and protects the end of the neck rather than just being for decoration. It's purpose is identical to the metal rings attached to female clarinet tenons, to help prevent damage to that area.

I would be interested to know the names of the brands of expensive saxophones that do not come with a ferrule on the end of their necks.

· Banned
5,324 Posts
Just a follow up, I spoke to my mate who did the course, they only ever referred to it as the ring on the end of the neck. Napbirt dont have any references to it as a ferrule, and delphi which is just repairers has no one using the term neck and ferrule together either.
If you have access to Delphi Band Instrument Repair Forum search for thread 6059.1 and you will see several experienced techs use this term. There are also hundreds of references to "ferrule" on Delphi in relation to joints on brass instruments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.