Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
9,229 Posts
As I was reading the list of players you mentioned I realized that all of them were present in the “Golden Age of Mouthpieces”.
The reason there are so many options now is because they are all trying to copy the good tenor Links or alto Meyers. And the occasional Soloist
Not one has done it. I see the biggest reason is that the only tip openings are 7* and above. I have no idea where that came from.
I played one of Grossman's mouthpieces. It was around a 5* with a soft reed. I don’t think he did much chanting or psychoanalysis but what a player.

· Registered
9,229 Posts
The best mouthpiece and the greatest player on the planet will sound crap on poor reeds.

Reeds have a tremendous influence on tonal sound, the matching of reed strength, vamp shape, sealing to mouthpiece, for instance, all have a huge impact on the outcome of the sound. Even changing the placement of a reed and ligature can significantly alter the sound of a mouthpiece. I find that this forum attracts a great deal of interest in mouthpieces and not nearly enough on reeds and reed adjustment.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Exactly. The $2000 Double Ring Link on the $20,000 vintage Selmer and you're still at the mercy of the 3 dollar reed.
I don't like messing with reeds but after I get through with the ones that play right out of the box I'll start with the rest.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.