Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
Famous story:

Zoot was a guest on Oscar Peterson's TV show in Canada. Oscar asked Zoot "What does the future hold for your instrument?" After considering the question for a moment, Zoot said " Well, I guess It could get net new lacquer job."

·
Registered
337 Posts
Zoot!

I have an Art Pepper interview on tape where he remembers going to visit Zoot in L.A in the early days. Zoot played Prez solo from Easy Does It with the augmented break - Pepper sings it on the tape - I recognized which solo it was by his singing!
He then goes on to say it was "like listening to a band- except you couldn,t hear the other guys"
Top!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
573 Posts
Having the first of the "Selmer Super Saxes" aka SSS. The New largebore, ca. 1930. I can see why Zoot used this horn, there is just something about these horns, I can't figure it out but it is as if they do a lot of response by "themselves" Go figure, I lvoe the sub tones and finger positions (BUT it does take some time to get used to the left pinky group the C#,B & Bb. The secret is to "clamp" your finger on th key, harder on the one you want to play, softer on the ones that go with the note your playing. Hope this can help some poor soul. BB NY

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
cigar said:
Very interesting clip with Zoot and his RI tenor. Also great playing....very tasty! Enjoy.
One of my favourite players! Thanks, cigar.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
Zoot is one of my all time favorites. If I could play like one player and only one player it would be him.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,112 Posts
...and not just on tenor. On "that old feeling" with the Zoot Sims Quartet he plays alto, tenor and baritone. You wouldn't have a clue that tenor was his main instrument.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts