Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fantastic, grooving like mad! Seen this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCx5_-P4EH4&feature=related

thanks for posting!

DC
I once worked with a guy who happened to know his niece, I believe it was, or perhaps grand-daughter, and she hadn't really heard any Zoot Sims recordings. She knew he was a famous jazz musician, but that's about all.

I asked him to ask her if she wanted to hear some of his recordings. She said yes, and I started bringing in stacks of CDs. He'd give me one stack back after about a week, and I'd hand him another stack, and another. Poor thing, she must have been so Zooted out! But the word from him was that she liked it, so it was a cool thing.

Thanks for the posting. Loved that Basie touch.

I'm all over Don Byas right now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
somebody once asked Zoot Sims how it was that he could play so well drunk. He replied; "I practice drunk!"

·
Registered
249 Posts
Zoot Sims sounds like Art Pepper if he played tenor.....I'm saying they're real similar styles on different horns
I've heard Art on Tenor and he does'nt sound like Zoot. Does that make sense??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Zoot Sims sounds like Art Pepper if he played tenor.....I'm saying they're real similar styles on different horns
Yeah, that's funny. They both just loved Pres, anyhow. Art Pepper played absolutely great tenor sax. Also. Check the John Graas album from mid 1950's "Jazzmantics": There's a blues called "Rogeresque" What a fat, swinging sound! Punchy!!! Extraordinary good tenorplaying. In tune, well-articulated. Relaxed, yet muscular. I think that he played a "The Martin Tenor" here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
somebody once asked Zoot Sims how it was that he could play so well drunk. He replied; "I practice drunk!"
This was originally told about Bunny Berigan. When a new generation of players came along who didn't give a $#!! about Bunny, the name changed to keep it relevant.

True or not, it's a good one :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Yeah, that's funny. They both just loved Pres, anyhow. Art Pepper played absolutely great tenor sax. Also. Check the John Graas album from mid 1950's "Jazzmantics": There's a blues called "Rogeresque" What a fat, swinging sound! Punchy!!! Extraordinary good tenorplaying. In tune, well-articulated. Relaxed, yet muscular. I think that he played a "The Martin Tenor" here.
I would venture he's playing a pre-balanced action Selmer. Zoot credited Coleman Hawkins as being the father of all tenor players... I think read somewhere that Pres said something similar to the effect that Hawk was the first Pres.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
I have always been curious as to Zoot's mouthpiece/reed set in the 1970s when his sound was bigger and more aggressive than it was in the 50s and 60s. I am aware of the Brilhart Hard Rubber mouthpiece, but what tip, and what reed strength? Anybody have some insights?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
I have always been curious as to Zoot's mouthpiece/reed set in the 1970s when his sound was bigger and more aggressive than it was in the 50s and 60s. I am aware of the Brilahart Hard Rubber mouthpiece, but what tip, and what reed strength? Anybody have some insights?
I don't think he changed set up. His sound changed very gradually

I would venture he's playing a pre-balanced action Selmer. Zoot credited Coleman Hawkins as being the father of all tenor players... I think read somewhere that Pres said something similar to the effect that Hawk was the first Pres.
On his first recording he sounds just like Coleman Hawkins.

·
Registered
606 Posts
This thread got me cruising through Zoot and Stan Getz clips on Youtube. Really enjoyable.

·
1,228 Posts
I used to sit in with Zoot back in the '70s. He played a Selmer Super tenor. Brilhart 4* hard rubber mp, and a #3 reed, I don't remember the brand. He was a very tough guy but he was like an uncle to me. God Bless Zoot Sims!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
I used to sit in with Zoot back in the '70s. He played a Selmer Super tenor. Brilhart 4* hard rubber mp, and a #3 reed, I don't remember the brand. He was a very tough guy but he was like an uncle to me. God Bless Zoot Sims!
Thank you! Zoot was the greatest.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What am I going to be listening to in three seconds? ZOOT! Y'all made me nostalgic for that lovely sound. Isn't that some great stuff with Jimmy Rowles on piano?

Sorry, thread hi-jack

·
6,862 Posts
Yes, perfect sense. Zoot Sims was a huge influence on Art Pepper; when Pepper took up the tenor, he was trying to sound like Coltrane.

Check out Sims' early composition Tenorly--a really cool minor blues--if you want to hear just how deeply Sims was into Lester Young.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Zoot Sims is great. Zoot Sims & The Gershwin Brothers (with Oscar Peterson, Grady Tate, George Mraz, Joe Pass, 1975) is a favorite.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
I'll never insist enough: Zoot also had one of the most beautiful soprano styles of the kind. His style is unique, real "classic jazz", in the middle of nobody, after the Bechet craze, and much more classic than the Coltrane/Shorter/Mitchell/Liebman/.... school. Until Branford Marsalis, almost no-one else blows the soprano like this.
His Album "Soprano Sax" was a real revelation for me. Standards (Wrap You Trouble in Dreams, Moolight in Vermont, ...) with a beautiful relaxed soprano. A MUST HAVE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIbNGm8UqOs

1 - 20 of 25 Posts