SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
They're both incompareable.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
hakukani said:
They're both incompareable.
Or are they each incomparable? Can we compare them on the basis of their incomparability?:D

You voted for Getz, didn't you? I'm keeping track. . . .

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
No way, I couldn't vote. I had the pleasure of hearing both live.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,498 Posts
both are great but

Stranded on a desert island with only one CD it would be the Getz and Kenny Barron duets.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I vote for Lester Young.

For giving birth to both of them. :cheers:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,124 Posts
bobsax said:
Stranded on a desert island with only one CD it would be the Getz and Kenny Barron duets.
Heard them live on the fourth and last day of the sessions. The first jazz performance I attended (and sadly the last time Getz played live). In spite of that, I couldn't choose one over the other.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
I voted for Warne Marsh -- for taking what Lester Young offered to a whole 'nother level...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
Love 'em both, but it is Stan by miles and smiles.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Getz was a player who continued to break ground musically throughout his career.

Although it's hard to imagine, Jazz Samba was not merely the harbinger of thousands of "quiet storms," it was new stuff in 1961. Talk about opening doors . . .

Ditto Captain Marvel from 1971. It may not be quite as good as Chick Corea's Light as a Feather was an experience which apparently inspired Chick quite a bit.

But to really put the cap on the point, check Stan Live at the Left Bank in the late 70's with Richie Bierach, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette. This is very stretchy Getz, and it was entirely by choice.

Back to my cave . . .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Yes, the smart money is on both. I love both of their inventive, lyrical styles; I love Zoot for the way he swings (swung); I love Getz for his beautiful, distinctive tone and his groundbreaking work. I believe Coltrane said "We'd all sound like him [Getz] if we could." For me, it's Gets by a hair.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts
Stan - strictly for sentimental reasons. I remember the first time I heard him play 'Desifinado' on the Getz / Gilberto album and I remember thinking WOW!
One of those things you remember for life.......

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I like Zoot a lot because he had a light, swinging and fun style of playing, but I also like Getz, his somber sound, suave personality and sort of romantic idealism. But to me it seems like Zoot played with a little more joy, infectious vibe, groove, and swing. Getz, on the other hand, was overcome with personal problems, he was sad and impassioned and played with a lot of emotions. When I listen to Getz I can feel that pain, but when I hear Zoot, I don't feel no shame, like sheddin' those blues, instead of walking in those old shoes. Getz sounded like he was out of his mind, so I think Getz was kind of a freak show but Zoot seemed more lively, warm, and funny, a little lazy sometimes, detached, a bit sassy, but he always swung it like he heard it.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Vader said:
No way dude. Mary Anne all the way.
SOME of my friends would prefer the professor. I wanted both Ginger and Mary Anne.;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts