Sax on the Web Forum banner

zoom/ audacity/ windows 7 ??

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  rhysonsax 
#1 ·
This is my new setup for TOTM but it's not working out.
I had better luck with the XP but had latency issues.

NOW I get very poor recording off the zoom when it goes into Audacity ? ( it's not the zoom, on it's own it's great. ) It's like if you look at the signal it never goes higher or lower it just stays even on the waveform/ Make sense?

This seems to be some easy to use thing for a lot o the guys posting on TOTM but I can't for life of me get this all to gel???
I have been Googling aroung BUT If you know anything that would help please post , Thanks.

#6 ·
Also, download the latest windows drivers off of the zoom site. I was having trouble when I changed to a new PC (from vista to win7) but the downloaded drivers fixed the problem right away.

#13 ·
I believe the latest Audacity Version for Windows is 2.0.3. (just checked my version, and that's what it is) You should probably update. There are a bunch of settings in Edit/Preferences, including latency correction in the Edit/Preferences/Recording.

#18 ·
The Zoom H2n can either record digitally to the memory card or act as a USB mic, effectively being its own digital interface. It doesn't use the computer soundcard at all. And the latency setting I use is fine.

Yesterday I managed to get the volume and sound quality working fine, using a gain level of 3 on the Zoom and 0.06 as the Audacity input level. To set that very low input level I had to go into the Windows control panel and set the microphone device properties level at 6/100.

Rhys

#17 ·
I have pretty good results with the Zoom H4n/Audacity/Windows 7 but I found the ideal setting on the Zoom in I/O mode is .6 and going up to 1 was too high.
Something you should do is go to the Audacity help manual and perform a Latency test. I was wondering why I was coming in late all the time until I did this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.