Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 8 of my orignal Zonda alto reeds left...searched far and wide, can't seem to find any (original flat box 3S)....so I've been trying to find a replacement...the jazz selects work fairly well, just not as bright....rigotti works ok, a little darker than I like....Steuer was ok, not as free blowing....the new zondas are not the same...any suggestions would be appreciated....

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think Weiner music still has some old stock Zonda. Not sure if they have the size you are looking for, but might be worth the call.

Also have you tried Gonzalez reeds? I believe they were the original Zonda, though I didn't realize there was a difference between the old Zonda and the new. I used to use the old flat pack Zondas back in the day, but stopped due to having trouble finding them anymore.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My experience is on tenor but likely applies to alto... Gonzalez reeds are very different than Zonda, much stiffer. I ordered several sizes softer than usual and they were still like planks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Gonzalez changed a few years back and haven't been the same anymore. Used to love them. Had to search for something else once the change occurred.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Gonzalez changed a few years back and haven't been the same anymore. Used to love them. Had to search for something else once the change occurred. I've since learned to stockpile as different brands seem to go through their phases.

Sorry for the double post

·
Registered
681 Posts
Gonzalez changed a few years back and haven't been the same anymore. Used to love them. Had to search for something else once the change occurred.
Interesting, I didn't know that. Honestly never tried them, just heard good things about the Jazz Local 627 reeds and saw something about how were the originators of Zonda.

·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think Weiner music still has some old stock Zonda. Not sure if they have the size you are looking for, but might be worth the call.

Also have you tried Gonzalez reeds? I believe they were the original Zonda, though I didn't realize there was a difference between the old Zonda and the new. I used to use the old flat pack Zondas back in the day, but stopped due to having trouble finding them anymore.
I did check weiner, no luck...Gonzalez were really stiff, not the same....

·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems like when the packaging changes the reeds do as well, although the makers will claim the reeds are the same, I strongly disagree
I have several boxes of the 2nd (red/yellow) and 3rd (black), sadly they are not the same....not sure what was changed....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I played Zonda a bit and found that the Peter Leuthner reeds can be pretty close.
I found the resistance to be similar and with a very colorful, complex tone.

Clark Fobes sells them, but you can also order directly - taking about 10 days to arrive

·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I played Zonda a bit and found that the Peter Leuthner reeds can be pretty close.
I found the resistance to be similar and with a very colorful, complex tone.

Clark Fobes sells them, but you can also order directly - taking about 10 days to arrive
Jazz cut?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Did not see that anywhere....is that the name of the company?
I believe he was making a joke. The Pagani Zonda is a sports car, same with the Pagani Huayra.

·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It looks like Fobes has the Jazz cut Altos but not Tenor, only Vienna cut in Tenor.
I'm looking for alto....have 10 boxes of the Zonda tenor....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was thinking the Vienna cut for alto...email Clark, sometimes he has some boxes that are not online.

Since Zondas were not a "jazz" reed, I think that the Vienna would be more similar....more wood in the center of the reed
and a little more control in the higher registers

·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe he was making a joke. The Pagani Zonda is a sports car, same with the Pagani Huayra.
I've lead such a sheltered life.... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts