Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased a strathon from Zinner? I really like to purchase one for alto, and since it is pretty much impossible to get an older one in good condition, I decided to purchase directly from Zinner.

I visited the website of Zinner(http://www.hans-zinner.de/html/). I cannot read German :( but anyway, there is a strathon online shop menu. So I clicked on it, and it links me to a page with error 404:( Is there any way to contact the company such as e-mail and do they speak English...? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Zinner usually does sell direct. I called there once and they were rather unfriendly on the phone even as I speak german. I got a bariton strathon from this store. http://www.fmb-direkt.de/fuer-Saxophone-FMB-1/
They have a working online-store and all strathons are listed there. Perhaps this helps a bit.
By the way, choose " Hersteller" Strathon not Zinner from the store popup menu.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would stay away from
"newer" zinner pieces if possible....sorry ZINNER. There's one in the marketplace right now for sale. Not sure about vintage though. The rubber they used in the 70s and 80s was far superior to what is being used today. Be warned.......my experience is the alto strathons have a tendency to play sharp, especially with the baffle way up.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I bought a new alto piece from Zinner last year, and I agree that at least that one tended to play significantly sharp in the palm keys. I don't remember that of it on an original alto Strathon piece I had in the 70's and 80's. Baffle looks different too, which tells me that it's not quite the same piece.

Other than the tenor 8 I got from phgsaxdude, (sorry, phgsaxdude) I haven't had any trouble with leaking from vintage pieces. This 8 from phgsaxdude, on the other hand, was pointed out by him as a particularly well playing and special piece for which I did pay well above the going rate. It appears that "well playing and extra special" means it leaks so badly that it hisses out of the top of the piece in the slider, and it's virtually unplayable. I won't be buying any more mouthpieces from this particular individual anymore, nor do I recommend others doing so.

That said, I haven't had trouble with the others I've bought used recently, but I do think you're better off buying a new one if you're concerned about abnormal leakage. The Zinner direct site is down, has been for months. If you call Zinner (they only admit to speaking German) they tell you to send them an e-mail, which they then don't answer. The site that Dr_sax suggests looks like you can probably order one, though their site clear doesn't seem to favor shipping outside of germanic speaking countries. I sold my alto piece to a deploying US Army band member that couldn't reach Zinner either, so maybe I'll give it a shot myself and see what happens. I need a new alto piece.

·
8,588 Posts
FWIW, the alto Strathon in the market place has had its baffle epoxied full bright. Nothing "adjustatone" about this piece any more. I prefer mine a notch or two back, but maybe full up suits you. Don't know. While seldom do any of them pass a "pop test", new or vintage, this one probably does given the glued state of the baffe.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
i am playing a new strathon alto 7 from zinner. I think its a great piece! no problems with leaking or tuning whatsoever. Managed to order one before the site had problems, I ordered my replacement caps from them through email. As for the vintage strathons, I find that for alto it gives a slightly different sound than the new ones. Somehow i just like the new one better on alto, for tenor i have a vintage one and a new one refaced by brian powell. I like both quite abit!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Has anyone purchased a strathon from Zinner? I really like to purchase one for alto, and since it is pretty much impossible to get an older one in good condition, I decided to purchase directly from Zinner.

I visited the website of Zinner(http://www.hans-zinner.de/html/). I cannot read German :( but anyway, there is a strathon online shop menu. So I clicked on it, and it links me to a page with error 404:( Is there any way to contact the company such as e-mail and do they speak English...? Thanks!
You can copy and paste the German into Babelfish for translation.

·
8,588 Posts
A 404 error is "page not found", regardless of the language. What pops up is unrelated advertising from Zinner's webhosting company, which is very much in English.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts