Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the right hand keywork/ergos on the King Zephyr the same as on the King Cleveland?

I had a '60s King Cleveland, and really liked the sound, but I have smallish hands, and I found the right hand key spacing a bit spread out for me, making it hard for me to finger quickly. I am wondering if the Zephyr would be the same or not.

(Or if there is anyone in the SF Bay Area with a Zephyr I could try.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
I have four Zep tenors,'46,'48,'49,'57.
I also have a mid '50's H.N.White Cleveland tenor, with marching hat and crossed drumsticks engraving.

I have med hands and I would say definitely that the RH ergos are very similar, if not the same.
Actually not much difference all around key work wise, between my Zeps and the '50's Cleveland tenor.

The key work is much slicker on late '40's and '50's Zeps and my '50's Cleveland, than the later student, nickel plated key work of the '60's Zeps and Cleveland tenors, and onward.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, saxphil, that is helpful. Yeah, part of the issue may have also been that the RH keywork on my '60s Cleveland was a bit clunky as well as spread out. Sigh - I may still need to try out a '40s or '50s Zephyr.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
Thanks, saxphil, that is helpful. Yeah, part of the issue may have also been that the RH keywork on my '60s Cleveland was a bit clunky as well as spread out. Sigh - I may still need to try out a '40s or '50s Zephyr.
You would probably love any Zep tenor '46-approx '58, in playable shape, as I do
... and, they can be bought on either side of $1000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts