Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

would anyone with a single neck Zephyr bari be able to tell me the distance between the tenon's "crown" (the ring that butts against the top of the neck receiver) and the base of the octave pip?

I have measured it from a Zeph "double socket" neck, but before I drill the new hole (on a replacement neck), i would like a second (or third!) measurement!

Many thanks, you can PM me if don't want to fill up this thread!

Regards,
M.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The measurement on my Super 20 is 1 1/8 (28.? MM) from bottom of the crown to base of pip. The crown is 1/4 tall. I believe that the necks are the same except for the silver on the 20. This is a pre Eastlake horn. Good luck.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for the super quick reply!
Did you measure it in a straight line or over the neck curve?

Thanks again, and yes mine is a late Cleveland too!

Cheers,
M.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
I have 2 single socket Zephyr bari necks: one w/ring at the neck cork is on an early Cleveland-made horn and the other is on an early Eastlake-made horn (w/acorn engaving). Using calipers (straight line), on the early neck the crown base to pip distance measures about 33.8 mm while on the later neck it measures about 27.8 mm.

The difference in pip location is similar to what i have found with King tenors. That is that the Eastlake horns have a different pip location than the pre-Eastlake ones and generally speaking, improved intonation.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 2 single socket Zephyr bari necks: one w/ring at the neck cork is on an early Cleveland-made horn and the other is on an early Eastlake-made horn (w/acorn engaving). Using calipers (straight line), on the early neck the crown base to pip distance measures about 33.8 mm while on the later neck it measures about 27.8 mm.

The difference in pip location is similar to what i have found with King tenors. That is that the Eastlake horns have a different pip location than the pre-Eastlake ones and generally speaking, improved intonation.
Cheers Xax, interesting about the intonation, cannot recall the serial number but I guess it is just pre Eastlake. I'll compare with the double socket I have in the workshop (it has the ring at the end of the cork, like yours) and see what comes out.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer!

Regards,
PS.: if you're interested I can post before and after photos!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK my Zeph is a 400900 serial, just checked against my measurements and I had measured approx 28mm , so not far off!

All I have to do now is get drilling!
Cheers!
M.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello, I have heard that zephyr neck screws are weak and tend to break. Would it be possible to find a stronger screw of the same dimensions for a double wall baritone neck? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a used Zephyr Bari (SN 385xxx) with a replacement neck. The neck appears to be a Buescher/Bundy neck, and works ok except that the notes that play with the neck octave key open are about 1/4 note sharp. I think moving the pip down to 28 MM from the neck crown might solve (mitigate) this problem. My question: is the 28 MM measured from the circumference or the center of the pip? Thanks for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts