Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent Ed an STM 8 and asked him to make it more focused, louder, less resistant, and just a tick brighter. I did not want any baffle added. I already like my stock STM 8 so this was really just a curiosity for me.

First off the mouthpiece looks amazing. The window is flat on the bottom and the shape looks just like a Guardala. I don't know if he's ever made a link like this before...if not, he needs to. This is an amazing mouthpiece. I've giged twice with it and I havent grabed my stock link yet.

When I first played I didn't like it because it was so free. I wanted to find a size 5 reed. It really played completely different from my STM. But after a few minutes I settled in and really began to enjoy it. That's when I realised this link was playing like my V16 T77 only with a huge fat link sound. That's a very big deal to me. I love how easy my V16 plays. And this Zentera Link blows just like my V16 but sounds like my link. Because the custom link is freer it's easier to play on the bright side of it and since I always try to play on the brighter side of links...this custom stm is a little brighter. It also seems to get brighter as I use more and more air. But it never loses focus when I back off the air.

I had him tailor it to a Java #3. Javas work extremely well on it but I'm actually finding Rico Jazz 3s to be even better. Every rico jazz 3s worked from a new box and had a super focused sound.

Everyone talks about "link chops." I still blow the same on the custom link only the returns are greater and I can focus more of my energy on the nuance of the sound. This is really evident when playing Ferling studies. This mouthpiece projects and stays focused even when I'm playing soft.

If you like the sound of you link but want it to blow more like your metal V16 you must try a Zentera STM.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
saxphil...Im so glad the link worked out for you too. I actually love this piece more now than I did when I started this thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts