Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent Ed an STM 8 and asked him to make it more focused, louder, less resistant, and just a tick brighter. I did not want any baffle added. I already like my stock STM 8 so this was really just a curiosity for me.

First off the mouthpiece looks amazing. The window is flat on the bottom and the shape looks just like a Guardala. I don't know if he's ever made a link like this before...if not, he needs to. This is an amazing mouthpiece. I've giged twice with it and I havent grabed my stock link yet.

When I first played I didn't like it because it was so free. I wanted to find a size 5 reed. It really played completely different from my STM. But after a few minutes I settled in and really began to enjoy it. That's when I realised this link was playing like my V16 T77 only with a huge fat link sound. That's a very big deal to me. I love how easy my V16 plays. And this Zentera Link blows just like my V16 but sounds like my link. Because the custom link is freer it's easier to play on the bright side of it and since I always try to play on the brighter side of links...this custom stm is a little brighter. It also seems to get brighter as I use more and more air. But it never loses focus when I back off the air.

I had him tailor it to a Java #3. Javas work extremely well on it but I'm actually finding Rico Jazz 3s to be even better. Every rico jazz 3s worked from a new box and had a super focused sound.

Everyone talks about "link chops." I still blow the same on the custom link only the returns are greater and I can focus more of my energy on the nuance of the sound. This is really evident when playing Ferling studies. This mouthpiece projects and stays focused even when I'm playing soft.

If you like the sound of you link but want it to blow more like your metal V16 you must try a Zentera STM.

·
3,303 Posts
I had Eric Drake open up my 7* to an 8 and asked him to make it a little brighter and more free-blowing, since I wanted a mouthpiece that could get bright and funky, like my Berg, but with the big, fat low end of a Link. My experience is a lot like yours, it seems. I've been liking RJS 2H with mine. They have a nice "fuzziness" to them that goes well with a Link, IMO.

Interestingly enough, Eric actually took material out of the baffle and chamber, making the baffle lower and the chamber a little larger, but it's definitely brighter and much more free-blowing, which seems a little counter-intuitive. It's still nice and thick like a Link, though. Tons of fun!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Zentera is a magician

I have never been pleased with my sound on tenor.I wanted to try a Link STM but was put off by numerous claims by members of quality issues in Link stock pieces until the day came when I read sinkdraiN's thread.
His approach made so much sense and I was pursuing a similar sound.It had been a couple of months since sink's post so I PM'ed him to see if he was still as pleased with his STM tailored by Ed.He said that it remains his main piece and he has no reason to play his stock Link..
I emailed Ed to see if he could fix me one similar.He was so accommodating and a great guy to boot.He put me on his list.
The other day I got the STM 7*.
It is by far the best mpc. I have played.It is everything sinkdraiN says.I am amazed at its responsiveness,wide spectrum of colours,focus at quiet volume and especially its huge fat trademark sound at all volumes.
Ed's a genius,his work is stellar and I am the happiest guy in the world to be well on way,finally to a great tenor sound.I am satisfied my search on tenor is over.I can not imagine a better playing piece.
Thanks to sinkdraiN for his discovery and post and to Ed who is apparently consistently amazing at a very reasonable price.He is all about the player.Thanks Ed.

·
Super Moderator
26,317 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Does Zentera have a web site? What's the best way to investigate what he does? Is it best just to talk to him? How can he be reached?
His handle on SOTW is EZ. You can PM him if you want (if he hasn't got it turned off).

·
480 Posts
I too play a Link that Ed tweaked for me. It now answers to the monniker
"That Link" and is the best piece I've ever played. Ed is a good communicator and when that mouthpiece shows up in your mailbox, she's right!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,343 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Excellent! Thanks for that too.

Update: according to the website, he is not accepting new work. . . .
Ed admits that the website is not frequently updated...best to talk to him direct.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
sinkdraiN said:
saxphil...Im so glad the link worked out for you too. I actually love this piece more now than I did when I started this thread.
This piece EZ refined for me,like yours,brings me to the soul of my Mark VII.It's a perfect match and like you say sink "gets out of the way" just you playing.
Thanks sink,for leading a horse to water.:D

·
6,862 Posts
I just got my Ed-perfected V16 HR--it's spectacular!

Rory

1 - 15 of 15 Posts