Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search and nothing's come up for Zdenko Ivanusic and his Donna Lee Saxophone Quartet. I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned here before, but in case he hasn't I thought I'd put a post up.

For me the Donna Lee sax quartet is a stunning example of jazz quartet playing, and certainly the best I've found to date anywhere on the Net, with some terrific improvised soloing. His original music is as inovative as his arrangements of the classics like 'When The Saints Go Marching In' and 'Little Brown Jug'. There's a You Tube of his 'When the Saints.' here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Xj4f3pH_I, The Donna Lee quartet CD 'Mellow' lives in my car CD player.

His web site's here: http://www.zdenkoivanusic.com/ and if you follow the 'downloads' link you can download his scores and parts free, though he asks for a donation. Ok some of his original music is a bit beyond my amateur quartet, but we sure have fun with his arrangments of the traditional tunes.

I hope this post introduces a few other ensemble players to Zdenko Ivanusic's music and inspires them to greater things, as it's done for us.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh dear........I shouldn't have said 'best' should I because that judgement is too personal and subjective, but in my favour I did say 'For me....'

Yes I've listened to The 29th Street Sax Quartet and they're sensational, but for me the music, style and feel of the Donna Lee quartet are more in keeping with what I like from jazz sax quartet. like I said it's a very subjective thing and I should have know better that to start a not-as-good-as/better-than/best contest. It's not like that is it, it's what sits best with you that matters.

·
Registered
189 Posts
a bit offtopic, maybe... but since you are from U.K... When I was very deep in Saxquartetland, I really liked ITCHY FINGERS ... at that time I couldn't believe it... I checked them again months ago, and still can't believe it! Btw, I like Zdenko music, and the 29th too, of course... I miss my quartet very much.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The individual playing brilliance within Itchy Fingers is eye watering, but there are just too many notes in there for me...(didn't someone say that to Mozart once?).

For an overall jazz quartet sound and style with close harmony combined with great jazz changes and superb soloing I keep coming back to Zdenko Ivanusic's music as performed by his quartet. I just find Donna Lee compulsive listening, whereas Itchy Fingers wears me down pretty quickly I'm afraid.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only 'discovered' Zdenko and his Donna Lee Sax Quartet recently and as I've said above, I found his music and its performance by DLSQ instantly compelling listening. My quartet has looked at some of his music too and we loved his 'Always My Love' composition. He's written it as a transposing score and parts with all four saxes in concert C and it just modulates beautifully all the way through with written accidentals instead of key signatures. It's very clever and effective composing and makes 'Always My Love' my favourite track on the CD.

Looking at DLSQ's shedule, they seem to perform only locally which is such a shame. So I emailed him and said that I think DLSQ would be very well received at any of the UK jazz festivals if they could make it over here. I also asked if there were any more recordings to come and I got a nice reply from him saying that there will be more DLSQ recordings which will be released as digital downloads which is great - I can't wait.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice to see some interest in sax quartets here on the forum.
Tell you what Jeff, I wouldn't mind betting that there are as many if not more sax quartets out there ranging from enthusiastic amateurs like us doing great things in their local communities through to the 'big guns' like 29th Street, World, DLSQ, Itchy Fingers, et al, as there are amateur and semi-pro individuals out there doing their stuff. The fact is that the sax quartet in all its forms is a very convenient and popular live music format for a whole range of event organisers' requirements from the village hall right through to the the big stage jazz festival events. My quartet did a gig just today, an open air garden party charity fund raiser, (which we did for a free lunch by the way - yes, there is such a thing !!!). Several hundred people came through during our two hour set and we were asked by dozens of people for our card - I rest my case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts