Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I was gifted this David Zagar tenor mouthpiece and FL lig but to be honest I’ve never liked it. I want to put the combo up on a couple of auction sites for sale but the Zagar has no markings on it apart from the name; there’s no indication of tip opening which would be useful to post with the sale text.

Does anyone know how to identify the tip opening of this Zagar piece?
View attachment 223866 View attachment 223868

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Measure the tip opening yourself and post the results in the sale info.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that with a metric vernier caliper but I'm not convinced of the accuracy. It measures about 3.2mm as far as I could tell, which converts to 0.126", but it certainly doesn't play like it's that open. It feels much more like my Link 6*, so I'll probably just put that on the sales.

I just find it odd that the Zagar mouthpiece has no tip opening markings on it.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
We might be able to make a wild guess if you posted a pic that actually showed the tip of the mpc (from the side). Even then, best we could do is say whether or not it looks relatively large or small. Bottom line, you have to measure it with the proper tool.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Keep the ligature, but don't have high hopes for the sale of the mouthpiece. I remember selling my "Cool School" some years back, and the guilt has haunted me since. I should have instead taken it to Mt. Doom and dropped it in the molten lava along with Gollum....

·
Registered
200 Posts
JunkDude Music carried the Zagar mouthpieces back when they first came to the USA. The first ones to hit our shores were all one facing and had no facing markings. It should measure .102 which later became his 7 facing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
JunkDude Music carried the Zagar mouthpieces back when they first came to the USA. The first ones to hit our shores were all one facing and had no facing markings. It should measure .102 which later became his 7 facing.
Perfect!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Keep the ligature, but don't have high hopes for the sale of the mouthpiece. I remember selling my "Cool School" some years back, and the guilt has haunted me since. I should have instead taken it to Mt. Doom and dropped it in the molten lava along with Gollum....
No need to feel guilty. As they say, one person's trash is another's treasure. I'm still playing mine.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
No need to feel guilty. As they say, one person's trash is another's treasure. I'm still playing mine.
Grumps has hated these for YEARS! Ha. I liked the Cool School in the larger tip openings, and occasionally dig mine out for a ride. As I recall, Mike didn't like it because he felt it sounded like a kazoo, but this is not at all the case with the right reed pairing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
$659.00!!! That's like what... about $470 U.S.? Man, I remember when the Cool/Hot school mouthpieces came out for some crazy price before Junkdude unloaded them at $99.00. Then Zagar came up with something else for their high end and began advertising the Cool/Hot school mouthpieces as "student models".

·
Registered
12 Posts
$659.00!!! That's like what... about $470 U.S.? Man, I remember when the Cool/Hot school mouthpieces came out for some crazy price before Junkdude unloaded them at $99.00. Then Zagar came up with something else for their high end and began advertising the Cool/Hot school mouthpieces as "student models".
Grumps it's not clear from the image I posted but the price is actually in US dollars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A few years ago I was gifted this David Zagar tenor mouthpiece and FL lig but to be honest I’ve never liked it. I want to put the combo up on a couple of auction sites for sale but the Zagar has no markings on it apart from the name; there’s no indication of tip opening which would be useful to post with the sale text.

Does anyone know how to identify the tip opening of this Zagar piece?
View attachment 223866 View attachment 223868
The "Cool School" i have is about 1.03. I think of it as a "7". I keep it in the case with my '37 10M. It's close to the Hollywood Dukoff I use with that horn, but sometimes I take the Hollywood out and play it on other horns. So just to be sure I'm always covered, I keep the Zagar, a Rovner Light and some Rigotti 2 1/2s in the case. They work fine. I've used the Z
agar over the Dukoff in a couple of recording situations but I think that was really about cheap microphones. Don't get me started!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts