Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was not really sure where to put this, so feel free to move it (admins) to the more suitable spot if there is one. The horn is not yet for sale (it may be at some point) I am really just enjoying it at the moment. This was a long labor of love restoring what is one of the most amazing SBA's ever that I was fortunate enough to purchase from the estate of Yusef Lateef. I thought members here would find this interesting:

http://hornedtoadmusic.com/yusef-la...-balanced-action-tenor-restored/#.WxAjTC-ZMWo

Please discuss here as you like and like/follow my FB page for more similar upcoming restorations.

https://www.facebook.com/HornedToadMusic/

Enjoy!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous horn. And great job on the restoration! One question. I know Yusef Lateef generally played a Super 20. Was this a horn he played prior to the Super 20? Or as an alternate?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely gorgeous horn. And great job on the restoration! One question. I know Yusef Lateef generally played a Super 20. Was this a horn he played prior to the Super 20? Or as an alternate?
I cannot really answer that question. If you read my writeup you can see what I imagined, but that is the best I can do. When I got this horn it was in disrepair, and I am guessing that he had simply not yet found someone he would entrust to fixing it, or perhaps he had not the time to look. Either way one thing I know for sure is that he had it for more than 30 years because my friend here who used to work as Rayburn's remembers him bringing this horn in decades back to get something fixed.

Earlier in his career, of course he played a King, and then at the end of his ife he was playing a MK VI, but he kept this for decades. That is the best I can tell you. Maybe one of his close friends or students knows more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
Gosh, what a beautiful horn — and such a good story to go along with it.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
I cannot really answer that question. If you read my writeup you can see what I imagined, but that is the best I can do. When I got this horn it was in disrepair, and I am guessing that he had simply not yet found someone he would entrust to fixing it, or perhaps he had not the time to look. Either way one thing I know for sure is that he had it for more than 30 years because my friend here who used to work as Rayburn's remembers him bringing this horn in decades back to get something fixed.

Earlier in his career, of course he played a King, and then at the end of his ife he was playing a MK VI, but he kept this for decades. That is the best I can tell you. Maybe one of his close friends or students knows more.
Thanks. What you say here makes sense. I couldn't read your write up on Facebook because I'm not on Facebook.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts