Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have this friend with a recently repadded Yamaha 475 alto. He was complaining about a low C# that was gurgling. I put a leak light down the horn, and everything checked out. Tried playing the sax, and it sounded uncharacteristically stuffy and dead. Looked at a half dozen things before catching this dent. Yup, it's also pulled down and leaning to the left. Had the player try my V1 neck, and it pulled everything back to where it ought to be. He'll be picking up a new neck for the better part of $300. Moral of the story? Be careful how you put your neck and mouthpiece on.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156944513082177&substory_index=0&id=507212176

Google Drive picture link here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y6BVLJaj1l37K_tSh9ePredwAf_qWj0p/view?usp=drivesdk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Believe it or not, some people don't use Facebook, so the link won't do it for me.
Never mind eh? Any chance of attaching the pic directly?
No dramas if it is not easy to do.
Cheers.

·
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Believe it or not, some people don't use Facebook, so the link won't do it for me.
Cheers.
That was actually my first move, but the attachment link was directing me to a 404 error. I'll upload to Google Drive when I get a minute today.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Cheers.
Ditto!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks, I can see the picture in Google Drive.

Crikey, I did not think a dent like that would have such an impact. Shows unimpeded airflow is a critical thing! I shall have more care and look after my sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,373 Posts
“ Pulled down and leaning to the left“ is probably a bigger problem than the dent.

·
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could there possibly be something lodged inside the neck as well? Object or built up gunk?
Was my second thought right after checking for a leak in the tenon. Then I compared the neck angle to my V1 and 21 alto necks. They should have nearly the same angle, but this was hanging roughly a half of an inch lower. It's then that we looked for a telltale ripple or dent, then noticed that the neck was also pulling to the left. I mean, this is a good way to darken the bright tone of a Yamaha. :lol:

·
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
“ Pulled down and leaning to the left“ is probably a bigger problem than the dent.
Yup. The dent was just the confirmation that the neck was pulled down. Everyone should also keep this in mind when shopping for a used horn. One of those "ping dents" can actually be the result of pull down. The affects are pretty jarring.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I see lacquer wear along the sides of the neck where I presume is a high spot or ridge due to the cone being ovaled?

·
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see lacquer wear along the sides of the neck where I presume is a high spot or ridge due to the cone being ovaled?
May have been from a previous repair. He had only noticed the horn not playing as well recently. I've played this sax before in the past, and didn't notice the muted tone. I couldn't reproduce his gurgling issue, but that may have been due to him keeping his mouthpiece pulled out as the upper register was sharper than it should be. A lot of weird things happening here due to the damage, and compensating for the effects of. He learned his lesson about putting the mouthpiece on properly, and is purchasing a silver plated V1 with gold accents. It'll look really nice, and he really dug the way my V1 worked with the horn. He sounded killer on it during a gig we were both on, so it'll work out well for him in the end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts