Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just had my Tenor set up and it has it's Barone copper neck fitting just right now. Talk about a huge difference. My Yamaha sounds like a mark VI now. Way more focused, lusher on bottom end with a darker/warmer sound then the original neck. Next I will probably get a G1 neck for it for times I want to be louder.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Who did the work? Mayho

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude all my work gets done by Nick Spearito. I bought the neck at Horn Improvement in Mission Viejo CA. But I always take my stuff to Nick he works right out of his own little shop in a garage in Long Beach CA. Trust me this dude is really really good, only works on pro horns or students of pros he deals with. I've been going to him since my teacher(keith felch) hooked me up with him years ago. He does tons of work for pro's and weekend warriors like myself. He is super busy though but if you are in So Calif and want to have a great repair guy I could give you his number.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tryptykon said:
Sounds cool . Is yours a 62II or the earlier series ?

What kind of pads/resos do you have in it ?
It's an earlier 62, but not as early as my Alto from the early 80's. The pads are all stock pads nothing after market there. It's definitely the Copper neck that helped make the horn sound better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
I was just wondering because I'e noticed that some Yamaha players preferred
the earlier 62s--I don't have any experience w/ them myself; just wondering.

Anyway sounds like you have a nice set-up there.:)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tryptykon said:
I was just wondering because I'e noticed that some Yamaha players preferred
the earlier 62s--I don't have any experience w/ them myself; just wondering.

Anyway sounds like you have a nice set-up there.:)
Well many prefer the years that Yamaha logo was silk screened on instead of engraved. That's how my 62 alto is and it's a really great horn. I picked up the YTS62 for 1000 bucks!!. It had a damaged neck but besides that really nice shape. I did take a slight chance buying it but it actually played pretty well with the repaired neck on it so I felt it was worth it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Right .. the silk-screened logo versions; that was it.:)

That was a pretty good deal; I'd say.

I got fairly good deals recently on some Yanagisawa tenors--buying used can
be very rewarding, sometimes.

What mpc are you using ?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I have only been on Tenor for 4 months I haven't really settled on the mouthpiece yet. Have played mostly on a Lakey that a friend gave me. He also leant me a Beechler metal which I sort of like but the tip is just so thick it's sort of slow to respond. I want to try a Jody Jazz DV or a SR Pro but haven't had the chance yet. I tried a Link way to dark for my taste. I tried a Jody Jazz ESP and hated it I like the Lakey much better. Tried a Berg Larson 100 that to me was ok but not worth purchasing. Tried an SR Titan didn't like it. I'll just play this one which I'm sounding decent on until something jumps out at me. I haven't really been playing much in last 5 yrs until recently so I'm sort of just now getting back into to all this. I do like my mouthpieces to have at least some baffle and I do like an edge to my sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts