Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on saxophones.co.uk and i was shopping for a new sax cause im and i was wondering whch would be a better sax to buy the YTS62 MATTE or the YTS62 silver please leave me some fead back

· Registered
926 Posts
Which looks better to you? Buy that one.

Don't expect any difference in sound. There are those who passionately believe that the finish of a sax makes a difference in how it plays. I have been following the many, many threads on this issue here on SOTW for a long time. I have never seen any convincing evidence of any effect for finishes. Testimonials, yes. Evidence, no.

Even if you had a YTS-62 in each finish to compare, it is much more likely that any differences you detect are due to differences in adjustment or set-up than in a few microns of plating or lacquer. I have a YTS-62, three mouthpieces, and dozens of different brands and strengths of reeds, including synthetics. I can get just about any sound quality I want from this sax by swapping out reeds alone, not to mention changing the pieces.

I am a research psychologist, and am very familiar with the large body of evidence showing that individuals' expectations can influence their beliefs and perceptions. That some people perceive that "bright" silver-plated saxes give them a "bright" sound, or that "dark" lacquered saxes give them a "dark" sound, is not at all surprising. However, that does not make it true.

If you like the looks of a particular finish, go for it. Nothing wrong with that. Then, if you want a particlar sound, get some recommendations for mouthpieces and reeds, and find out what works for you.

· Registered
63 Posts
Great comments by PKnight ... and you are right ... I don't want the maintenance myself either ... finding the time to cut the grass is enough of a time challenge for me with my busy family.
I got a silver 62, and I keep a few of those Silver Saver strips in the case. And I'm pretty good about wiping it down after playing. No tarnish problems... yet. Love the look.

· Registered
40 Posts
I got a silver 62, and I keep a few of those Silver Saver strips in the case. And I'm pretty good about wiping it down after playing. No tarnish problems... yet. Love the look.
The look is killer for sure. Do you think the tone is much different? I like it a lot but wonder if a different mouth piece would brighten tone vs Silver plate.

· Registered
63 Posts
The look is killer for sure. Do you think the tone is much different? I like it a lot but wonder if a different mouth piece would brighten tone vs Silver plate.
I don't know much about how finish affects tone. Too newbie at this sax stuff. But I do hear many opinions that the concept of finish affecting tone is overrated. Is this something you seem to notice?

But I can guarantee that a different MPC affects tone more than finish. I have a RICO that I might try using the next time I have to strip the finish off a piece of furniture or break a pane of glass.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
37,873 Posts
The more things change ... the more they stay the same. I didn't even notice the date of the thread.
That’s yet another thing that doesn’t seem to change. :cool:

Welcome, Max.

• Haha
Reactions: Pete Kelly
1 - 14 of 14 Posts