Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,I recently bought a YTS61,i had it repadded and have had it back for about a week now.As you do,i was checking out the work on the horn in detail when i got it home.........my question,should the LH3,G key close the Bis key when it is pressed on it's own.On my 61 it does not,but on my other tenor(A Trevor James) it does.On my alto,a Conn 6M it does not,and on my soprano it also does not.In normal playing this does not effect anything,but when i noticed the difference in the two tenors curiosity got the better of me ! By the way when you press the G key on the 61 the Bis is a long way from closed..........any help from any 61 players(or anyone else) out there would be greatly appreciated............Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
Yes,same as Selmers do. Does'nt apply to alto's or current Yamaha tenors. You can cork under the G key arm to eliminate 'free travel' but it's not really neccessary--I've found that without a little 'free travel' the G pad can sometimes not seat securely on the tone hole, causing a leak smack in the middle of the horn.
So yeah, thats the way the horn was designed, great horns BTW--I've got one!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for that Boppity,i was going to cork it but just wanted to be sure before maybe doing something silly,it looks like i will need to fill a fairly big gap,about 3 maybe 4 mm to get it to close the Bis,does that sound a bit much or is it about right?
And yes it is a great horn,haven't managed to gig with it yet,but had it at practice during the week and found it great..............

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
The bis key pad should remain open while LH3 is closed to give the correct venting of some altissimo fingerings where LH1 and 3 are closed together (but LH2 remains open) and also to be sure LH3 pad closes fully. There should be a thin piece of felt or similar silencing material on the underside of the LH3 touchpiece arm so it doesn't clatter on the bis key pad cup, but still allow the bis key pad to remain open within reason.

All Yamaha tenors from the 23 upwards have the independent LH3 key (as do Buffet S1 and Prestige tenors) - the 21 and 61 were like Selmers in the way the fingerbuttons were laid out, but on the 23, 62, etc. they moved the fingerbuttons down the body slightly so all the main action fingerplates are independent (and the palm keys were lengthened appropriately). Selmers, Selmer copies, Yanagisawas, Keilwerths and others have the LH3 touchpiece arm running over the bis key pad cup just like the 61.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chris, so just a little cork to stop the metal on metal,which is what brought it to my attention in the first place,but leave it open........that's a great help,i appreciate it.Is it not a great tool we have at our disposal,to be able to call on so much knowledge out there,especially those of us not close to repair techs....Roll on Saxontheweb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts