Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was looking into a horn to buy once I graduate and I ran across the YTS82ZASP. But there are a couple issues. One, they don’t sell any as far as I can tell in the U.S. I’m not sure where to buy one and if I order one online I won’t be able to play test it before hand. Two, there are almost no reviews for it. Three, it’s limited edition and I don’t have any idea when it will go away. Thus, I don’t know if it will still be available once I graduate.

Does anyone have any advice or insight that could help me?

Thanks all,

Cole C

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Hello everyone,

I was looking into a horn to buy once I graduate and I ran across the YTS82ZASP. But there are a couple issues. One, they don’t sell any as far as I can tell in the U.S. I’m not sure where to buy one and if I order one online I won’t be able to play test it before hand. Two, there are almost no reviews for it. Three, it’s limited edition and I don’t have any idea when it will go away. Thus, I don’t know if it will still be available once I graduate.

Does anyone have any advice or insight that could help me?

Thanks all,

Cole C
Whew, that's quite a jones for a horn that almost doesn't exist! It sounds like the marketing hyperbole has hit every one of your pleasure points. :shock:

G'luck on your Quest. Of course, when it comes time to find the perfect mouthpiece to complement it, you'll be on your own because nobody else has one.

First world problems... :twisted: :bluewink:

·
Registered
69 Posts

Are you talking about these “Atelier” models. Cause if so Sax.co.uk is the only place ive seen them for sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
32,938 Posts
The weird finish is umber lacquer.

Google is your friend: https://www.sax.co.uk/yamaha-yts82z-atelier-tenor-saxophone.ir

" Introducing the new Atelier Custom saxes from Yamaha! These are very special limited-edition models, based on the popular 82Z custom sax, but bringing you another level of refinement!

There are several features to point out on this limited-edition sax, and really, they should be described as variances on the standard YTS 82Z model. The sax is available in either a wonderful umber lacquer, or unlacquered. Crucially, Yamaha are using their most narrow bored and tapered C1 neck (as opposed to a V1) and this helps to focus the sound more, as well as make it more free blowing; The next most obvious change is that Yamaha are using an over-sized neck adjustment screw. Much acoustic testing has been done when it comes to adding mass and metal to this ‘weak nodal area’ on saxophones, and it’s normally found that this increased mass helps to cure these problems, as well as add an overall layer of increased resonance to the sound. There is also the option of having each finish with or without top F#, depending on the player’s preferences. Beyond this, there are a few ergonomic alterations – independent key pillars on the right stack, the original bell to body ring design, and a lighter weight thumb rest!"

OP - It looks like this is a limited edition, so to answer your question of whether they will still be available, it is a low (expensive) probability.

Of course, there may be something even better by the time you are ready to purchase... Those guys in R&D have to do something.

Comment: That looks like a lot of space between the B and bis keys.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
Are you looking at the horn pictured? The bis touch is practically hitting the B key touch.

·
32,938 Posts
Are you looking at the horn pictured? The bis touch is practically hitting the B key touch.
Arggh, yes, you are absolutely correct. I was staring at the front F, and blew the synapse that contained the correct name.

I hear that happens as one ages. I remain in denial. :shock:

Thank you for setting me straight.

I like having the front F touch placed where I don't have to shift too much to use it. You?

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
Yep, Mine’s like that. Every so often it catches/ I catch it/ something like that. Kind of sucks.
That color is pretty intense, I’d prefer the unlacquered model.
Edit: I don’t play one of these special edition Yamaha Customs though, just a horn with a too-close bis key.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It looks to me like there's a normal amount of space between the bis and B key, but the white background plays a trick on your eyes.

I find the description funny:

"Yamaha are using their most narrow bored and tapered C1 neck (as opposed to a V1) and this helps to focus the sound more, as well as make it more free blowing"

I thought their marketing was saying that the V1 neck had a more focused sound and was more free blowing. I guess it doesn't matter which Yamaha neck you get because they're all more focused and free blowing! Does Yamaha market a neck with more spread and more resistance?? Btw, if the C1 neck is the updated version of the M1 neck, then I agree - it's a great combination.

This sax looks pretty cool, but at its core, it just seems like a regular custom z with a fancy paint job and a few accessories...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I find the description funny:
"Yamaha are using their most narrow bored and tapered C1 neck (as opposed to a V1) and this helps to focus the sound more, as well as make it more free blowing"
I thought their marketing was saying that the V1 neck had a more focused sound and was more free blowing. I guess it doesn't matter which Yamaha neck you get because they're all more focused and free blowing! Does Yamaha market a neck with more spread and more resistance?? Btw, if the C1 neck is the updated version of the M1 neck, then I agree - it's a great combination.
The E1 is more focused than the V1 on both alto and tenor, but not by a lot - one of those things no one hears but a sax player. The tenor V1 is a little (but noticeably) more free-blowing than E1, but the difference on alto was more subtle and mostly in the highs and extreme lows.

The C1 is supposed to be more focused still than the E1. Haven't tried one.

Yamaha's people I'v emailed and spoken with say there really isn't any difference between E1 and G3 beyond the stamp. Having played them I concur.

The G1 is more spread and free-blowing still than the V1, but the alto version my EX came with had some intonation issues for me. Not everyone reports that.

Don't know where M1 and F1 factor in, never tried them either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts