Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm looking to buy a professional saxophone preferably from one of the big four. I will probably be buying a used one so without price in mind, which one do you like the best? There is no place in the area to try one of these saxophones so I will be buying online. I've heard mixed reviews about the sx90r and how its "incomparable" to the other two saxophones but I really want to know the differences on these 3 horns.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
No amount of adjectives, metaphors, and references are going to help you here. Imagine someone trying to describe what a roller coaster feels like to someone that's never ridden one... These three horns (et al) have great potential.

I currently have an 82Z and a T990u. I have also played a nice SX90R not long ago. Any of these (et al) in a good state of set up is going to be more horn than you will ever need.

Seriously. I like my Yamaha 82Z better than any other horn I've ever owned. Mostly due to the keywork, response and intonation. It also has a wider tonal pallette than my Yanagisawa or my Buescher (both of which have a more stable, round core sound).

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've had all of the above but in the end settled with a used Selmers Series III. These can still be had at great prices. They are best in new horns IMO.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts
I have not played a Keilwerth tenor, but I recently did get a chance to play a T991, 2 Yamaha YTS-62 and a Selmer Series II tenor. One of the YTS-62s was a purple logo which was the better of the Yamaha horns. All horns had been setup and regulated to great playing condition. I was very surprised of the T991. It played great, but just did not have that "full" sound down low the others did. Both Yamahas sounded good through the full range but were a little bright for me. When I tried the Series II, I knew that it was going home with me. The feel is different from my Super 20 but it did not take long to get used to it. I will echo the advise that is always given on SOTW. You really have to play a horn to know if it is right for you. Unfortunately a lot of us normally do not have that luxury.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
For me the 82Z is 1st choice,so easy to play.It just has amazing power and cut,it sings.2nd would be a JK SX90R ,great big dark sound,can be pushed hard like the Z.3rd is the 991,I had a used 991 and it was a very nice horn but of the many other 991 tenors i blew i felt like i would hit a wall when i pushed hard on them,they felt tame,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts