Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sort of annoying. Can anything be done about it? Might be the way I hold it. Never have the issue with my Martin Comm III. Weird.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently started playing Tenor on a YTS-23 and had the same experience. I've been told it's perfectly normal. Interestingly, I haven't noticed it as much recently.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I play in a Big band, and this happens to me and my Cannonball when I play solos (unmiked) on Rock tunes. I assume it's a factor of How hard I'm blowing and the amount of moisture in my mouth.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
It's condensation. Usually from my bis key. I just blot it with a piece of absorbent paper. On clarinet it comes out of the side Bb/Eb and C#/G#. It seems to happen in well air conditioned rooms.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It's condensation. Usually from my bis key. I just blot it with a piece of absorbent paper. On clarinet it comes out of the side Bb/Eb and C#/G#. It seems to happen in well air conditioned rooms.
^^This.

I get the same thing on my tenor all the time, but my alto has never in 14 years done this.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Every tenor I ever played did that. My 62IIs blows spit out all over the place. I guess it's more noticeable to me because of the silver finish but after a gig I always have spit stains all over the bell where it comes out around the middle keys. I even end up with it coming out the inside of the bell. Guess I'm just full of it. Spit, that is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
Spit happens - oh, yes.

If it goes into the horn - or condenses there - it's gotta go somewhere. Mine usually exits the upper stack as well - palm D or B.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Spray some WD40 on a cleaning swab and run it thru the horn. This will clean the bore, disrupt existing "dribble paths" and allow the water to drain thru a little quicker. Works for me anyhow. Also good for burbling sop sax octave pips.

·
Banned
40 Posts
In addition to the actual engineeringnof the horn, the foods and liquids you consume prior to playing might have an effect on the degree if "spit" (sorry no other way to explain"). Angle of the horn also plays a big role in the accumulation of fluids! Swab a bunch!
Good luck
May the chamois be with you!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Spit happens - oh, yes.

If it goes into the horn - or condenses there - it's gotta go somewhere. Mine usually exits the upper stack as well - palm D or B.
If it bothers you enough, switch to bari. Water doesn't come out and dribble on your hand. That said, putting a plastic tarp across your right knee is helpful in heavily air conditioned environs.... [rolleyes]

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, good advice. I'll try to disrupt the spit trails with DW40. Won't do any damage, will it? Strange thing is it never happens on my 51 Martin tenor, only on the Yamaha. Maybe the Martin has different dribble paths. I propose a scientific study utilizing bioluminescent soup, black light, and a colonoscope. Any grant writers out there?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
Be careful with the WD40 - breathing those fumes deep into your lungs could be hazardous. Yes, I know you don't suck wind through the horn but you will have a cloud of fumes around it for some time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
a lot of people complain about this and it is something that indadvertedly the player does. All saxophones produce condensation but if you hold the saxophone leaning to the left with the bow lifted on the right , the condensation will find , in most modern saxophones, its way out that area. Hold the sax straight in front of you and this won't happen. A lot of people have this when they change their horn from one design to another. A friend bought an alto from me and she thinks that a cork is missing..........I have explained her, she doesn't understand.....It happened recently to me because I changed from my Super 20 to a Buffet S1 for a while.

·
Registered
768 Posts
a lot of people complain about this and it is something that indadvertedly the player does. All saxophones produce condensation but if you hold the saxophone leaning to the left with the bow lifted on the right , the condensation will find , in most modern saxophones, his way out hold the sax straight in front of you and this won't happen. A lot of people have this when they change their horn from one design to another. A friend bought a alto from me and she thinks that a cork is missing..........I have explained her, she doesn't understand.....It happened recently to me because I changed from my Super 20 to a Buffet S1 for a while.
yeah sounds logical..

I had this when i changed from a buffet to a selmer.. and a short while when transferring from selmer (sa80II) to my cannonball...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts