Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
1. Yes, Yamaha purposefully designs the keywork on all of its saxes to feel almost identical. Any of the Yamaha tenors should feel very natural to you coming from a YAS 62.

2. Hard to say - IMO Yamaha altos & tenors sound like siblings to me but a lot of this comes down to the player. The bell tones on Yamahas are considered by many to be the easiest blowing of any tenor (I own 4 tenors Mauriat, Barone, Buescher , YTS-875) and the bell tones on the Yamaha pop easier than any of the others. That being said, I play the Barone the most because I feel the upper register (palm keys) speak the best and have the fullest sound.

3. You should be able to do this with about anything that doesn't have too much baffle. Plenty of pros can get this type of sound on any mouthpiece it just takes practice and skill. However, coming from alto which has a little more "cut" just due to the the range of the horn, you may find you want a mouthpiece with a little more edge.

In the end I don't think you'd be unhappy with any pro tenor- they're all really fine horns and despite all the banter and strong opinions, it's mostly splitting hairs.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
He is coming from a YTS62 and going for a new alto, not the other way round. I have a YTS62ii and a Barone Vintage alto. I really like my alto and based on that I also bought a Barone Vintage tenor. The barone has a fuller tone but I find the lower notes are not as easy as on the Yamaha. The alto on the other hand plays effortly from top to bottom
Sorry about the alto to tenor mix up it all looks like alphabet soup late at night- my experience has been the same in comparing the Barone and Yamaha playing characteristics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts