Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing my YTS-62 for 7 years now and have grown very comfortable with the mechanics and feel of that particular horn. I'm finally looking into investing into my own alto but I want a similar warm and rich sound out of it.

I have heard excellent reviews on the YAS-62 and have been looking into playing one to test it out. In addition to the warmth of sound I want out of the alto, I also want an easy sounding lower register and a very smooth upper register (nothing squeely or annoying).

With this being said, I know so much can be remedied with a switch of a mouthpiece, and it might be there that I find the sound I want.

So:

1. Do the YTS and the YAS handle similarly to each other?

2. Does the YAS (general thought) have the same sound qualities I'm looking for in an alto?

3. What kind of mouthpiece could I generate a warm/smooth sound with? Is anyone familiar with the Rousseau mouthpieces? I've played on a 4 tip and had a great time with it.

Thanks guys! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
1. Yes, Yamaha purposefully designs the keywork on all of its saxes to feel almost identical. Any of the Yamaha tenors should feel very natural to you coming from a YAS 62.

2. Hard to say - IMO Yamaha altos & tenors sound like siblings to me but a lot of this comes down to the player. The bell tones on Yamahas are considered by many to be the easiest blowing of any tenor (I own 4 tenors Mauriat, Barone, Buescher , YTS-875) and the bell tones on the Yamaha pop easier than any of the others. That being said, I play the Barone the most because I feel the upper register (palm keys) speak the best and have the fullest sound.

3. You should be able to do this with about anything that doesn't have too much baffle. Plenty of pros can get this type of sound on any mouthpiece it just takes practice and skill. However, coming from alto which has a little more "cut" just due to the the range of the horn, you may find you want a mouthpiece with a little more edge.

In the end I don't think you'd be unhappy with any pro tenor- they're all really fine horns and despite all the banter and strong opinions, it's mostly splitting hairs.

·
Banned
334 Posts
He is coming from a YTS62 and going for a new alto, not the other way round. I have a YTS62ii and a Barone Vintage alto. I really like my alto and based on that I also bought a Barone Vintage tenor. The barone has a fuller tone but I find the lower notes are not as easy as on the Yamaha. The alto on the other hand plays effortly from top to bottom

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a YAS-62 and really am totally exited about the performance of the horn (still after many years). I own a YTS-61 and also tested the YTS-62, and compared to those, the alto feels even better in my hands, the keywork works smoother and faster (well, maybe it's due to the general differences between tenor and alto). All notes just pop out easy from bottom to top, much easier as with the Tenor (maybe beause I come from the alto, don't know). Soundwise, the alto may be more on the "edgy" side, even more as the Yamaha tenors. I used to play the YAS-62 with a Selmer Neck (SA80), and instantly got the Selmerish tone from that (but also a little more restistance and selmerish intonation :). I like the YAS-62 with a good Meyer 6, but regarding the mouthpiece, it's really up to you.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
He is coming from a YTS62 and going for a new alto, not the other way round. I have a YTS62ii and a Barone Vintage alto. I really like my alto and based on that I also bought a Barone Vintage tenor. The barone has a fuller tone but I find the lower notes are not as easy as on the Yamaha. The alto on the other hand plays effortly from top to bottom
Sorry about the alto to tenor mix up it all looks like alphabet soup late at night- my experience has been the same in comparing the Barone and Yamaha playing characteristics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i've been playing the YAS-62 for four years now and love it, i play on a meyer primarily, and it is very easy to get good solid tone down low, and up high i find tough to make sound, but thats just embrochure, once it does sound it is usually nice and full

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hi

I once had a 62. This year I had a go with a brand new Yamaha Z UL. It is The best Yamaha Alto I have ever played.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts