Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently about to purchase a YTS-62 from a private seller who seems to be fairly knowledgeable in saxophones. He says he played thru high school and college, and a little bit professionally. I just went to try playing it today (it is so much better than my 23) and the serial number was 292xxx. From what I can tell, it's the first "iteration" of the 62 (not the YTS-62 II or YTS-62 III), but after the purple logos. Does anyone have any insights on around when this might have been made?

Much thanks,
Yehdo

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have a first year purple logo and a stamped logo backup that plays/sounds identical - they are totally interchangeable for me once I adjusted a couple of keys spring tension to match what I'm used to. The purple logo is a 4 digit serial .. the stamped logo is serial 028###. Still has the non-tilting Bb spatula key and stainless springs (not pointed). I know there are stamped logo ones that do have tilting Bb that are later than mine but earlier than the 62 II. Apparently there were several small changes over the years between the purple logo and II.

It be interested to know if the 292xxx one you're looking at has tilting Bb (I bet it does) and if it has blued/pointed needle springs instead of the stainless springs. At some point they switched from pearl key buttons to plastic buttons.

·
Registered
YSS-675 | YAS-62ii | YTS-62ii | B901
208 Posts
I’m under the impression that until the mkII came out, the only changes from the purple logo to the later mkI were cosmetic. I don’t know about serial numbers, but there are things you can look for to distinguish mkI and mkII, for instance the G1 neck (on the mkII).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yamaha introduced the Purple Logo YTS-62 in 1978 or 1979. (I have seen both dates.)
The original had the purple logo on the bell, non-tilting bell-key table, red logo on the neck, Mother Of Pearl key touches
Based on what I have seen from other owners, Yamaha subsequently made a series of small changes in the following order, I think:
a) Stamped logo on bell
b) Tilting bell-key table
c) Black logo on neck
d) Plastic key touches (I'm not sure about this one - this may have happened with the MkII)
All of these models have blunt-ended stainless steel springs and the original neck. The octave key lever does not extend above the top of the body.
I assume they are pretty much identical playing-wise except for the tilting table.
I'm not sure that the changes were introduced in the same way in all countries.

What I call the MkII was introduced in about 2003 and had pointed blued-steel springs, a chunky crook socket with "Yamaha" written on it and the new G1 neck. The octave key lever extended above the top of the body.
However, Yamaha generation numbers are confusing and inconsistent - they seem to have stamped them differently in different countries. Some of the MkII models have YTS-62II stamped on them and some don't.

Here is a Yamaha page describing the models I II and III. But I'm not sure this information applies to all countries.

Yamaha serial numbers seem to be quite a mystery, and Yamaha themselves can't tell you the manufacturing date of early models. But they can for models after a certain date, so it is worth sending an email to Yamaha and asking - they will tell you if they know,

My YTS-62 tenor has serial number 044xxx and was made in 1998 according to Yamaha.
It has the stamped logo on the bell, tilting table, a black logo on the neck and MOP key touches, so it is generation c, above.

·
Registered
YSS-675 | YAS-62ii | YTS-62ii | B901
208 Posts
The bell-key table does tilt. From what I could tell it did have the plastic key touches unless I'm mistaken. G2 neck, if that helps.
That would be a non-original neck then I think. Does the neck socket on the body have the thicker neck socket with YAMAHA engraved on it?

·
Registered
502 Posts
G2 neck, if that helps.
That would be a non-original neck then I think. Does the neck socket on the body have the thicker neck socket with YAMAHA engraved on it?
If it has a G2 neck then that also strongly suggests a MkII. But sometimes the original neck gets damaged and has to be replaced.
The 292xxx serial number also suggests a model after the MkI.

If it has the chunky neck socket and if the springs are blue/black with pointed ends then it is a MkII or later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, there was a mistake on my part. The neck was a G1, not a G2.
Well, either way: I got the horn, and I absolutely love it.
The actual horn came with 2 necks, the G1 and a silver E1 (from the custom series), the previous owner had upgraded the neck.
It plays so smoothly with such a nice tone. I guess I'd underestimated the impact of the horn on the actual sound. It's not a huge difference, but it is definitely noticeable, especially if you made as big of an upgrade as I did (YTS-23 to YTS-62I).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts