Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The c# spring on my yts 62 has popped out of it's 'notch' and won't go back in - that's to say, it will go in but it won't stay there. From the look of the angle, I can't understand how it ever stayed in place in the first place. I'm wondering if there was a little piece of cork there? Or even if it was glued in place? Anyone got any experience of this? We're talking about an almost brand new sax here. I'm going to include a picture, but it was surprisingly difficult to get a clear shot.

Any help would be much appreciated.

J

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Sometimes you have to visualize the travel and position of the spring "cradle" on the key in question and then bend the spring up or down so that there is a bit of tension in the spring that keeps it in this position. For example bending the spring forward or back can make the action of the spring stronger or weaker depending upon your taste. If the spring is slipping out of its cradle in an upward motion, then it needs to be bent down slightly so that the end of the spring will stay in place as it goes forward and back. In a worse case scenario you may have to remove the key and file the notch that holds the spring a little deeper using a triangular shaped jeweler's file---or take it to your tech to have it done. Cork or glue is never used to hold springs in place in my experience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed response Saxoclese. That makes sense. I'll see if I can adjust the spring to get it to hold itself in place. I'll report back on my progress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed! Just 'angled' the spring tension in towards the post and it now holds itself in place. Thanks a million Saxoclese!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts