Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
There is a nice high octave characteristic that I see appearing on the Selmer Mk VI players. I have a Yamaha YTS-61 and I'm wondering if changing the neck to a Mk VI neck is worth the money (I think it is about 250 dollars) I.e. achieving majority of the mk VI character through the neck upgrade.
Has anyone done it? Does it create issues regarding compatibility? I have a good repairman that can work it out if it is feasible. Any other neck suggestions?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Are you referring to an aftermarket neck that is marketed as a "Mk VI" neck? If so it is not the same as a Mk VI neck and will not produce the same timbre and sound in the upper register as an actual Mk VI neck. That is not to say that there are not good AfterMarket MK VI necks out there. There just isn't one that will give you the same sound as the actual real deal. Ask any VI player out there that has tried an aftermarket neck and I guarantee that 99% are back on there original neck. If you meant that you want a real Mk VI neck, I don't think you will find one for $250 (probably around $800-$1200), buy if you do find some for $250 let me know where it is so I can buy a couple! My recommendation is that if you like the VI sound to do some investigating and buy a MK VI. Good Luck!

·
Registered
926 Posts
I LOVED a G3 on my YTS61. The only issue was the octave key extension, which was just a pain in the balls.

It adds a whole lot of midrange and some of the top end growl that the 61 can, and does, so freakin' well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I once tried my MarkVI neck on my YTS 61 and the tone was a bit more mellow and somewhat darker sounding but didn't make my Yamaha sound like the Mark VI or make all that much of a difference. I had to adjust my throat to get into the higher register since the Selmer neck didn't operate with the Yamaha octave mechanism which was too short to reach. You might be better off with the Yamaha neck option- the G3 neck.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm using a 61 with the F1 neck. It had a more even tone and scale and sounded better to me. You just need to bend the octave key on the neck down until it meets the octave lever on the horn. Much simpler than adding an extension. Other necks I've tried are MKVI, S-III & G1. None of these were better than the original 61 neck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts