Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyboy can confirm this for a YTS 61 without purple logo in the octave?
There are two YTS 61s posted in ebay right now and they do not have the Yamaha logo on the neck, is this accurate?

Hi and thanks for the question. The purple logo is not on the octave. I've checked the recent 61 auctions and two of them didn't have it either. They have this style neck. Possibly the very early ones do not have the logo on the octave. I can't say for sure. If you check photo number 2 and enlarge it, the side of the bell has the purple Yamaha Japan logo but there is no tuning fork logo. I could be wrong but changes like these may have been done throughout the production of the model. The logo on the brace between the bell and the body is there. You may remember that Yamaha didn't keep records of what serial numbers were produced for each year, it could be entirely possible they made changes to the logos and locations too. I sincerely do not believe my family member who owned this would have used anything other than the neck which came with the sax. He was an amateur player who only bought the best. Incidentally the purple logo on the bell is perfect, no flaking paint. Great question.

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me,...

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Could you post links?

It's a possibility the logo fell off; the old logos were glued-in plastic discs.

·
Forum Contributor 2014, Distinguished SOTW Member
2,087 Posts
Probably this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Incredible-Yama...ultDomain_0&hash=item4aadcb5c6b#ht_720wt_1313

It is a dramatically different neck than the ones with the logo. There's not a place for that kind of glued on logo to have fallen from. However, the seller might be right. I just sold one of these that is less than 500 serial numbers from this one. It had an identical neck and the same kind of older style bell lettering.

See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150641972523#ht_773wt_1080

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, I was also watching your listing and the same issue threw me off. I owned two 61s, alto and tenor, both with the purple logo on the neck. both horns were the later 61s, loved them but sold them to buy y SA 80 serie II which I had to sell after my twins were born. Now I am playing an old TrueTone buescher and I am really missing the newer mechanics, so I am keeping an eye out for a good horn in my price...wishing
thanks woosax

·
Registered
339 Posts
A few first 61s (alto and tenor) doesn't have logo on the neck octave key. To verify the match between neck and main body, check the inscription on bell: says just YAMAHA, without logo.

K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts