Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a Tenor sax, and have a lead on a YTS-52 for a decent price in decent condition, but there is one fishy thing about it- the octave mechanism on the neck is silver, where the rest of the keywork is all brass colored. The other 52s I've seen had a colored Yamaha emblem on a brass colored octave bar.

Was there ever a 52 with a silver octave bar, or did someone pull a fast one and swap a student neck onto this intermediate sax?

The serial number is 002686, so it may just be an early one, but I've never seen that on a 52.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
I can't say for certain, but that looks exactly like the neck on my 23...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, guys. I may see if they are willing to work on the price since a new Yamaha neck is like $290. Should I be concerned about the horn being able to play in tune with the incorrect neck?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like it's definitely a 52. They are asking 699 plus shipping. It seems that one in good shape (with it's original neck) goes for around 800-1000 on fleaBay. This one has it's share of scuffs and a few small dime-sized dents.

I'm mainly concerned that it could have intonation issues with the wrong/lower quality neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
I'd play it and see. Many people use aftermarket necks on horns, so I dont think I would be immediately worried. 699 is a pretty good price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
+1 raphyel

there won't be much of a change with this neck instead of the orignal, they're yamaha necks anyway. perhaps that's one late 21 neck and that's even better, those are the purple logo neck wich a detuned neck key and trim and clear lacquer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's in another state, so I won't be able to play it before I buy it, but I think it still may be worth the small gamble. They are going to mention it to the business owner, and confirm independently that it's not the correct neck, and then get back to me with an amended price, which may take a couple of weeks.

In the meantime I'm going to keep shopping, I'm dying to upgrade from my Tenor Bundy II...

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm glad I didn't figure out the neck was swapped *after* buying it, even if the price was right, I would have felt duped.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
The neck should not affect tuning at at all. It's obviously a Yamaha neck whether it be 21/23/51/52 they are compatible. If you like the horn ---gotta beat a Bundy 11 !---save up for a G1 neck or similar and you will have a first class set-up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts