Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I recently purchased a yts 52 tenor saxophone on ebay for $920. I currently am using a cannonball big bell stone series tenor saxophone in a regular lacquer finish. I was just wondering how much of a difference the yts 52 is going to be to the cannonball. I know its probably going to be brighter but sound and feel wise do you think that the yts 52 is going to be significantly worse than the cannonball tenor I currently use.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The YTS-52, once properly regulated, will be less pushy than your Cannonball. The core is slightly brighter but less "in your face". I personally think it's an excellent horn, especially for classical stuff.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,446 Posts
All things equal (good set up), they are both good horns. There will be some minor key placement differences, but nothing that drastic that you wouldn't be comfortable on either horn within a few minutes. As for the tone/ sound differences: That is up to you. I played a bunch of Yamaha (875, 82 and 62), P Mauriat, and Cannonball tenors befire choosing my Raven. All of them were in good playing adjustment, and any one of them would have been a fine choice for me. I just liked the feel and sound of the Cannonball best. That is just my opinion. You need to play both of them and make your own choice.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You're going from a pro level to an intermediate level horn. The Yamaha 52 (which I played for about 10 years) will be much lighter, will probably play brighter, and the palm key notes will likely play flat. Still a good horn, but a big move down IMO, having owned both.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,446 Posts
You're going from a pro level to an intermediate level horn. The Yamaha 52 (which I played for about 10 years) will be much lighter, will probably play brighter, and the palm key notes will likely play flat. Still a good horn, but a big move down IMO, having owned both.
That is true. I was thinking of the 62 that I played. My sister used to play a 52 alto in high school...That was before I played though. I have seen some threads on here where good players use a 52 as their main sax though.

I do agree that you are going from a pro horn to one geared to an intermediate player.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts