Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I can't believe I'm actually asking this. I feel like a total noob asking this question, but what's the most any of you Yamaha fans would pay for a YTS-52 that "needs pads and has lacquer issues."

I'm looking for a horn for a student, might sell them my 23 and pick up this 52, if the right deal can be struck. They're asking $600 which feels rather strong for a 52 that "needs pads." They seem to think that a pad job is an $80-100 spend, which is just not the case, unless it really only needs a couple pads and not the whole kit and kaboodle. My tech's approximate rates would put the total spend at about $1200, maybe more if bought at full price and then repadded. That seems high for a 52 judging by what I've seen on eBay.

My personal gut reaction is to offer them half if it's really that bad, I just want to make sure that $300 for a 52 needing pads isn't ripping myself off.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
A 52 for 300 even if it need pads is a good deal. Plus those are some of the easiest horns to overhaul as they have fine adjustment screws everywhere. I have a very nice 52 for less than 1200....99% lacquer, and pads are extremely nice. Personally I wouldn't pay 1200 to get a 52 overhauled since I can get a 62 in decent shape for about 300-500 more than that. If you can get it for 300 and spend maybe 4-500 on an overhaul I would say that was a decent deal.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
No, pass on it. There are plenty of other horns out there, and when you get towards $1200 or so you can easily get a Pro horn like a 62 for that rather than the "intermediate" 52.

So, pass. It's not really worth it especailly since no one is really sure exactly what it needs fixed to get it playing properly.

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The $1200 amount is what it MIGHT end up costing if I were to buy it for $600 and then spend that again on a pad job, which I definitely will NOT do. As it stands, I have not seen the sax, I'll arrange to see it, evaluate its condition and go from there. I was just looking primarily to see if $300 was good for it with no pads, and the answer appears to be yes.

And, as for the pro tenor argument, I really don't need another one. I'm VERY happy with my VI. I just saw an opportunity to dump a good backup and get a nicer one. For my purposes, a 52 is probably more sax than I really even want as a backup, as I sometimes have to play outdoors, risking damage from weather.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've had 2 52, an alto and a tenor. I found them both to be very nice horns for the money. In fact, quite underrated. I've seen 53 tenor's in the neighborhood of $700-800, ready to play. As long as your total cost (horn plus repairs) didn't exceed that you'd be getting a fine deal. If you really believe you'll end up with more than $800-900 then I'd suggest you keep looking.

As far as playability is concerned, I would put the 52 right next to a 62 and good bit of distance ahead of the 23. YMMV.

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm starting to have doubts on making a deal with the seller. I asked him about the work it needs, and here was his response:

"According to my sax repairman who is in (place deleted it's not important), he said it would need a full set of pads which would run between 80-$100. Considering how I paid over $2000 for it brand new, its still a pretty good deal for $600."

I know the used vs new price is enough to make most people sick, but it's just the way things are. I doubt he will be willing to haggle, and a non playing 52 just isnt worth $600.

I think the guy got the quote for the cost of a pad set (materials), not for the labor, and thusly thinks it will play for $700, which actually IS a fair price for a well used 52.

I replied asking for his tech's name, if someone's doing good work for that rediculoulsy cheap, I'm in. Got an alto that needs a repad...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts