Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I just joined the forum and searched a bit for information on this student line model. I'm 49, and a trumpet player, but am wanting to switch things up and learn the tenor. I've been renting for a bit, and teaching myself. My current model is a YTS-200ADII. I've also been borrowing a YTS-580 Allegro this week, and want to try out the Selmer La Voix II (STS280RB) next week maybe.

Anyway, I saw a craigslist ad for a YTS-23 student model, but it appears from the many pictures to be in great shape. They're asking $750 which seems to be in line with what I've seen discussed here. ($600-800).

The link is here: https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/d/battle-ground-yamaha-yts-23-tenor/6808055114.html

From what you can tell on the ad and the pictures, does this seem to be a good deal/reasonable/steal/etc.? I'm hoping to meet up with the seller in the next day or two and try to play it. TIA for your opinions!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
It's not a 'steal', but given the condition it is a decent price.

Might wanna ask the seller the last time it was serviced and whether he feels it needs anything.

Best of luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
It's not a 'steal', but given the condition it is a decent price.

Might wanna ask the seller the last time it was serviced and whether he feels it needs anything.

Best of luck.
+1. That price is getting into the range that the average shop charges for one that has been freshly overhauled. Make sure that the horn needs no work, and get an experienced player to verify that. If you don't personally know a decent saxophonist, get in touch with a local music store or college. You can also take this opportunity to find a good instructor to at least get you started on the right path.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I can't speak to the price, but that's a really good choice of horn to learn on! You're headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
535 Posts
These are solid horns to start on. The price won’t be a steal. Playing a solid horn during your development, however is a gift.
Good luck and enjoy the sax!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I would ask the seller how recently it's been regulated, and if it has not been serviced in the last year, I would ask him to knock $100 off the price on the basis that you would want to take it to a tech and have that done immediately after the sale. That's a reasonable request, and I'd be surprised if he didn't at least meet you halfway and knock off $50.

OTOH if it has been regulated recently, I might just pay the asking price. Yes, you can get a 23 for less, but judging by the pics and description this one seems like it's in very good or even excellent condition, and if it's not going to need a regulation, I'd be tempted to just go for it.

Play it first, of course.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would it be worth considering paying up to buy the YTS-200AD II that I'm renting? How does the YTS-23 shape up against the newer 26 and AD200 II models?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Would it be worth considering paying up to buy the YTS-200AD II that I'm renting? How does the YTS-23 shape up against the newer 26 and AD200 II models?
That's the kind of question that is best answered by playing the 23. I think you'll get a feel pretty quickly about whether it's an upgrade over the 200AD. I've never played one of those, but I'd be willing to be the 23 is significantly better.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
But the OP is just beginning on sax after playing trumpet so he might not have the skills or the embouchure to evaluate the two instruments at this point. Of course, at this stage in your playing you will be looking for a horn that plays all the notes easily from top to bottom without having change your embouchure much to get the lower notes. That much you can do on your own. If you have a teacher you should ask him or her.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,950 Posts
I agree with everything posted here. I will add that this is a USA assembled horn. I’m not entirely positive but I think that puts it sometime in the 1990s. 1980 being the first of the 23s. And came in a brown case. The listing pictures show the serial number contact Yamaha for the date.
I would get a good clear look by a tech done. You may have 20-year-old pads although they look good they may not be well. Especially at $750 and an average of $500 to do a repad. Bank on $100 for a good clean oil adjust including a few pads. Very nice clean looking and looks like it has low mileage. I would be more comfortable at $600-650. Condition adding some value against the age/pad subject. Excellent choice and well worth pursuing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You might want to ask the seller to meet you at a repair location to assure his words and trust. If this person balks, perhaps that's a sign you can do better. Best of luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
This has been an ongoing discussion between some very knowledgeable players/techs on this forum against myself. In my opinion, the first student Yamaha saxes play exactly the same as their latest student saxes. I own, and very much enjoy, a YAS-21. I've compared it to quite a few examples of 23's, 275's, 280's, and AD200's owned by students. The leveraging in the keywork IS different on all of these models, but you would be hard pressed to feel it without looking at the keywork. These are all great horns by any measurable standard as long as they're set up right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts