Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI , I play on a Yts-23 and am looking for a metal-mouthpice and if at all possible under $100 , i mainly play swing, music (in a jazz band) i do a lot of solo's to if that helps, if thier is not one for under a 100 but you think it's a "must" please post that to
thanks,:treble::?:?:?:?:?:?

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,061 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy the information provided here.

To start, I believe a lot of information can be find for you in the link I posted below, and I recommend you pay special attention to the material of mouthpieces sections. However, I will say this now: Material is unimportant to the overall sound. Hard rubber/plastic/metal mouthpiece doesn't matter.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?110774-Useful-Information-for-New-Members

There are some great replies to your question already in this thread, so it should help you a lot. If you have any other questions about those threads, then you can ask :).

·
Administrator Emerita
11,598 Posts
Admin Note:

Thread moved with redirect (exp.: 3 weeks) to Tenor mpc forum

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,022 Posts
Generally speaking you are not going to find metal mouthpieces under $100. They cost more (than hard rubber) to make and finish, and this difference does not vanish even when they are sold used. You probably can manage something used between $100 and $150.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,233 Posts
right now i am on a selmer c 80*
Well, the nowadays ubiquitous S80 C*, is not a bad mouthpiece, one that most modern players started on together with the Yamaha and perhaps the Rico Graftonite.

First of all as others have said the sound of a mouthpiece comes from its internal shape and from your way to play it (try to move your underlip from tucked above the teeth to a more protruded position as hear what happens there, pretty amazing change right?).

Secondly the desire to play a metal piece is mostly driven by coolness factors more than anything else, I know I did, and I got myself a berg larsen with which I was happily screaming away for some time before understanding that that wasn't what I really wanted.

So the search for a mouthpiece is much like the search for identity for an adolescent , there is some time needed for experiments and then through severals rites of passage we , hopefully find a direction to pursue.

Budget is a concern, 100$ is not really much, so why not considering something used?

There must be a ton of information on this forum on mouthpieces but the most important decision is to decide if you want a low baffle or a high baffle. Generally one can say that the first ones are dark and spread sounding and the second are bright and focussed.
To give you some indication the first would be epitomised by the Otto Link STM and the second by a Berg Larsen . Why don't you go to try these in a shop and see which one you like? I am afraid that both are, new, above your budget, so, how about reconsidering the metal thing and try the same brands but in hard rubber?

There are now many mouthpiece copies from China, there is no way to tell, before buying them, what they play like. Those can be an alternative and if you buy them cheap and resell the ones that you don't like , a calculated risk. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beechler Tenor Metal mouthpiece used: $49.95 Model 6S
I found this @ a local store.... what do Y'all think?? never heard of it so............

·
Registered
147 Posts
Beechler Tenor Metal mouthpiece used: $49.95 Model 6S
I found this @ a local store.... what do Y'all think?? never heard of it so............
A local store should let you try it out before you buy. See if you like it. As others have said, it's a personal journey.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks yeah i am going to try it in a few day's.... does any one know much about Beechler Model 6S cuz i can't find on the internet any where

1 - 13 of 13 Posts