Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
I used to have a YTS-61 that I loved until I came across my VI (see sig.).
It was a great horn and would still be my backup had I not had to get rid of it to get my VI. Anyways, after having the 61, I decided I wanted another Yamaha to take the back-up role of performing in pep band and marching band. I need a horn with guts to be able to really get some volume and to be durable with a halfway decent tone. I used to play on a rather abused YTS-23 in high school and it was good, but it felt a little clunky.
Now, I have come across a deal for a nice YTS-21; 1 owner, great condition, playable, $400 out the door. I also could get any number of YTS-23's for $500-ish.
Now, is $400 worth it for a YTS-21? Would it be a better horn than a 23? Are 21's generally liked or hated?
I have included pictures of the 21 I found.
Let me know what you think.
Thank you.

-Jf

·
Registered
402 Posts
'21s are good horns to play on, but annoying horns to work on (as compared to a '23)... They lack an array of adjustment screws and leave your tech carving out cork/felt... I've played (and still own) a YAS-21... it plays decent, holds it's adjustment well, and has OK action.

That said, if you can get a -23 for 100 bucks more (in similar condition), you might as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've bought a few yamahas from ebay, and to tell the truth, I did not like how they spaced the notes out (yep all 3 of em, and no, none had any leaky pads, or other broken parts), I always felt I had to open my throat wider down at the bottom (compared to a selmer bundy I, II, or conn), which is why I resold em back on ebay... the 23's are cheaper than the 24's, especially since all the students are looking for 24's.. helps to buy during spring break, or during the summer break when the kid's moms & dads are not hunting one up for junior to use in band

I also enjoy playing a mexicon bari, a vito (not made by yamaha it seems) tenor, and a soprano from tawain, which purports to be made in the usa... lol

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,198 Posts
The 21 and later 23 are excellent student saxophones. However, try to get a yas-34 or 52. They're much better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,829 Posts
Theres not a great deal between the two of them ,21 and 23, but i would go for the 23 as its just a bit more advanced.
You wouldn,t go wrong with either though, i still prefer the 23 to the newer, 275..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts