Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see this addressed and was curious to know your thoughts.

Since neither model is available new, it would be interesting to see a cost comparison. It would also be great to know what the price difference was when the models were offered.

Interested in timbre differences as well as intonation issues.

Thanks.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
I think in general the 62R is rarer (fewer were made than the 62) and thus more sought after and expensive.

I have a 62, but have not played a 62R to compare or comment.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
I've owned 3 62R's over the last 2 years as well as a couple 62's. Very find instruments. The 62R is the one-piece bent neck soprano not as common but started (or at least re-started) the 62 Straight sopranos are preferred by tons of players. Many smooth jazz players prefer the 62.

The difference really has to do with bent vs straight neck which has been talked about FOREVER on SOTW. I use a neck-strap on soprano and felt that the 62R was much more comfortable. With the exact same mouthpiece and reed I also notice that the 62R seemed softer and slightly darker. (From the players perspective)

I recently switched to a Mark VI soprano - not as good in terms of intonation but it seems to match my tonal concept more closely.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yss-62r

Does anyone know when the yss-62R was released and subsequently discontinued?

Does anyone know what they sold for new?

Thanks.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
I found this on Yamaha USA's website:

Model: YSS-62R
Years: 1982-1991
Key: Bb
Auxiliary Keys: High F#
Engraving: Yes
Finish: Gold Lacquer
Keys: Gold Lacquer
Finger Buttons: Pearl
Current Model: YSS-675

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yss-62rs

Well I bought a YSS-62RS this week. It plays like a dream. I had the opportunity to play it next to a lacquered 62R and a lacquered 61 and very much preferred the 62-RS. Great response, intonation is good and the tone is darker than on most sopranos I've played. The tone is similar to my old 1917 conn soprano; not quite as good, but intonation is much better as is response.

Thanks for your help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,828 Posts
Out of interest?..im ressurecting this thread!,so from what i can gather from comments here the main difference between the yss62 and the yss62R is the bent neck as opposed to the straight one?,anyone like to add to this, were there any additional qualities that seperated two fine sopranos?...most say they like the R", but it varies.

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
The difference really has to do with bent vs straight neck which has been talked about FOREVER on SOTW. I use a neck-strap on soprano and felt that the 62R was much more comfortable. With the exact same mouthpiece and reed I also notice that the 62R seemed softer and slightly darker. (From the players perspective)
I can say the same for my 62 & 62R, I would add that my 62 (straight) has slightly better response and intonation...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,057 Posts
The difference really has to do with bent vs straight neck which has been talked about FOREVER on SOTW. I use a neck-strap on soprano and felt that the 62R was much more comfortable.

The trick to using a neck strap with the straight 62 is not using a modern
web type strap but instead an old string type strap--does not get in the
way of your left thumb the way the web type does...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts