Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much searching I have finally found a music store (Twiggs in montreal) that have a yss-675 and a yss-475ii in stock. The price difference though is huge. Just over $2100 for the 475, and just over $4100 for the 675. I believe both to be excellent horns, but am curious to hear opinions on whether the difference in price is worth it. I thought the option of a curved neck with the 675 would be nice...but unsure if it's worth the extra money...

Thanks

p.s I'm situated 20 mins west of Cornwall Ont. if anyone has suggestions on other stores to check.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ugh......I've tried several 475s (A local store here is totally obsessed with Yamaha and they are really pushing the instruments). I was not impressed. They play like a student horn. There is really no ring to them. Totally overpriced for what you are getting.

If you are going to spend money, skip the 475s. Look for a USED 62 or Pro model horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Are those prices in USD? If so that's kind of high I think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,828 Posts
I,me not sure of the exchange rate!being from the uk, but the price of the 675 seems quite high!, you can get excellent second hand deals! on market sites,and i would look for a good second hand model,as for which one?..the 475s have a good sound its not as the quality of a 675/875/62 but its more than adequate!, i would go for a 675, if i had the choice but it depends on the money maybe for you!, 62s are quite superb! sopranos..

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
The exchange rate is pretty near 1/1...That's what happens when you just order a s***-ton of money to be printed...

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I've tried one 475 and one 675 soprano, and the 675 was clearly the superior horn in every regard. The 475 didn't even come close. YMMV.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies...I'm definatley leaning towards the 675....The price though is a bit high, but doable...The problem with this model, in Canada at least, is that it seems to be discontinued. From what I understand, what is available at a particular store location is all that can be gotten. I suppose supply and demand has pushed the cost of this horn up.. :-(

I guess I just need a couple more replies extolling the virtues of the 675.

Thanks again

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 675 I'd be willing to let go...it plays beautifully, I just don't need a soprano (thought I did when I got it...but thats how that goes). check your inbox, i sent a pm.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,828 Posts
Thanks for the replies...I'm definatley leaning towards the 675....The price though is a bit high, but doable...The problem with this model, in Canada at least, is that it seems to be discontinued. From what I understand, what is available at a particular store location is all that can be gotten. I suppose supply and demand has pushed the cost of this horn up.. :-(

I guess I just need a couple more replies extolling the virtues of the 675.

Thanks again
demand for the 675!..is fairly respectable,and its a good alternative to the 875,a lot of players prefer them!,its got more going for it than the 475, thats not to say the 475 is not a capable horn,but the 675, i feel does give you that edge in build ,tone..be patient though you can pick up bargains if you wait!..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts