Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for listening & commenting. Billie Holiday's version of the tune (Lady in Satin) or Dexter's is my biggest inspiration whenever I play it. Now to come close to her feeling & his musicality.
George

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,303 Posts
This one is really well done George. i have always liked this song and used to play it a lot on alto. Your interpretation is lovely and you handle the harmony like a champ. The recording does sound very good as well, Ian knows his stuff.

3,364 Posts
Thanks to all for listening & commenting. Billie Holiday's version of the tune (Lady in Satin) or Dexter's is my biggest inspiration whenever I play it. Now to come close to her feeling & his musicality.
George
George as you said you get your inspiration from Dexter and Billie, so just to be clear, I wasn't criticising ( we have plenty that do that on here) or implying that you mimic Gene, just that I have noticed he uses dynamics to great effect, indeed much more than most jazzers, and I suppose billie like all singers get some help with expressing using words, so we use other techniques like dynamics. Anyway have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No problem, Ballad. I didn't even think you were criticizing. I love Gene Ammons.
I was introduced to him at his table by Thad Jones when I played a flute part on a Wayne Shorter commissioned work at the Village Vanguard. It was commissioned by William Paterson College and Thad had me come over & play the flute part & hear how the arrangement was supposed to sound when played by the pros. So, Gene Ammons heard me play!
My claim to fame!:bluewink:

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
1,521 Posts
Nice. Really liked it. I was listening to this and other songs sung by Billie Holiday this morning, figuring out which of her songs I would learn next.

3,364 Posts
No problem, Ballad. I didn't even think you were criticizing. I love Gene Ammons.
I was introduced to him at his table by Thad Jones when I played a flute part on a Wayne Shorter commissioned work at the Village Vanguard. It was commissioned by William Paterson College and Thad had me come over & play the flute part & hear how the arrangement was supposed to sound when played by the pros. So, Gene Ammons heard me play!
My claim to fame!:bluewink:
Great story George. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts