Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been asked to play this show and was wondering if anyone could tell me about the flute/picc part. I'm not a flute player by any means and anytime I pull it out, it's a fight to the death.
How much flute/picc is there in this show and whats it like?
Any other information about this show/book is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shane

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just got finished playing this in November. It's a great show!

There's only one number with picc, and it's just half notes, soft, around high D.
It's not a heavy flute book, but it's a big part for flute when it plays. Lots of runs, and highly lyrical. The show uses a lot of clarinet and sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,003 Posts
as oboe buy said, not a lot of flute. But, its a 1 reed player show so its all very exposed.
Try to do the recorder stuff on recorder, not flute and get some of that under your belt too.
From memory- it was about 2002/2003 when I played it, the book was alto, soprano, clarinet, picc, flute,recorder and kazoo!

Its a fun show to play, a small band, and a lot of different styles.
Have fun!

·
Registered
350 Posts
You're right Benny. Each book actually has recorder! The Kazoo part is also scored for Sop. Sax, and I think that gives it the Latin feel.
It's scored, basically...for a Klezmer type band! We actually did some Klezmer-like arrangements of children's songs for the preshow music! (John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith was a fun one...lol)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts