Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,242 Posts
Alto owned by a woman...Crystal Bxxxx (hard to read the last name). It was an old, old King form the late 20's-early 30's. In the case, besides lipstick-stained reeds.... was included her own hand-written fake book...all charts on 4x6 staff paper !

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/jaye86/DSCN0161.jpg
way cool, JayeSF.

I don't know the history of my 50's The Martin bari but I was told the previous owner was a cruise ship player who got seriously ill and needed the money.

I'm the only owner of my Martin Official Music Man tenor, bought new in 1963 as a teenager for my career as a young rock 'n' roller.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Great, great stories man. I bought a b.a. many years back. In the musty old case was a receipt for repairs and such. Date on receipt my birthday. Not just day and month...but year. I was convinced it was " meant to be ". The horn was crap! I also owned the Link that played " Hoots Mon ". Lord Rockinghams 11.....heady stuff huh?.....regards...a

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I only have a partial story, so partial it might just be a rumour, but the guy who owned my horn before me (a Super 20 c.1956) apparently picked it up in Argentina. Whatever it did there it had a wild life and all sorts of indignities forced on it but it still outplayed half a dozen others I tried, all of them shinier and younger.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know about the first owner of my '58 Mark VI, but the second owner was an engineer who played in swing bands around the Louisville area. He sold it to me to buy a SBA that he found, but I found out later from Mel Owen (owner of Mel Owen Music) that he bought a Yamaha custom instead. I think that I got the better end of the deal. It's a great VI.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I have a 1920's Selmer Clarinet given to me by my Grandfather that was his as a young man. He graduated from High School in 1925 so he was possibly the first owner...he never told me if it was new or used when he got it. If it was used, it wasn't far from new.

I have a silver plated 1940 Balanced Action Tenor with the name 'Vincent Gerard Andrews' and the year 1976 engraved on it. He traded it to a music store in Dayton, Ohio which is where I bought it. Vince was from the Dayton area and once played with Gap Mangione. I never met him while I lived in Dayton.

He told the salesman at the music store that he had bought the horn from Clarence Satchell of the Ohio Players Band.

I have found video online of Satch playing a silver Tenor Sax and I have every reason to believe that it is the one that I now own. I never met him before he died although I bought the horn while he was still alive. The provenance is not 100 % proveable but I think that the clues are pretty solid.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,243 Posts
Hmmmm...... would'a been better off with the 10.....:lick:

I'm the only owner of my Martin Official Music Man tenor, bought new in 1963 as a teenager for my career as a young rock 'n' roller.
That's really cool. One-owner Martin. You just dated yourself, however......:|

I have found video online of Satch playing a silver Tenor Sax and I have every reason to believe that it is the one that I now own. I never met him before he died although I bought the horn while he was still alive. The provenance is not 100 % proveable but I think that the clues are pretty solid.
That's also really neat. I am sure you have searched images, and if you can find more of that horn, you could probably get more of a beat on it.....

Like I said, great thread....wanna hear more....

·
13,242 Posts
That's really cool. One-owner Martin. You just dated yourself, however......:|
yeah, I knew dat. I'm old enough so I don't care any more.

·
19,243 Posts
Isn't that kinda great ?

I remember when I was young and I'd look at older cats and think this about 'em or that about 'em...like, what are they thinkin' presenting 'emselves like that and all....?

...and now, decades later...I finally understand.

Ya' live long enuff and see enuff....and it's just like...awwww, fooookit....

...very liberating, actually.....

·
13,242 Posts
...very liberating, actually.....
yes it is. I used to care very much what people thought about me. Now I don't give a damn. I know who I am and what I've done and I'm going to do my best to enjoy myself and be kind and considerate to the ones I love. So if you don't like something I do or say, you can go perform an unnatural act upon yourself.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
My Evette & Schaeffer clarinet I bought new (or rather my parents bought it, but I picked it out after trying a bunch) in the mid-'70s.

I bought a '67 Conn 10M from JayeSF that had a Santa Cruz (California) Schools sticker on it.

My Vito Kenosha alto is really my wife's horn that she bought at an auction while working as a glass designer in West Virginia (came with a Selmer C Soloist mouthpiece), long before we met.

My Dolnet Bel Air tenor I bought from Chiefs_55 on here, but I don't know the prior history.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,038 Posts
1925 (or so) Conn New Wonder II alto - prevous owner was my father who played it in the Simmons (now Hardin-Simmons) University Band.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,782 Posts
I've got a horn once owned by Fred Lipsius, Grammy Award winner, Blood Sweat & Tears member, Berkely jazz professor. This is cool for me since his playing and arranging back in the 1960's really got me interested in the sax and jazz/pop music.

I am the first "real" owner/player of a 1928 Martin alto. It sat in a storage room of a music store in upstate NY for 75 years without every being assembled. No wear marks, not even a scratch on the neck tenon, just pristine silver plate, maybe a little tarnished. I bought it as part of a lot of "junk instruments", parts and tools from the back of the store. It was in a tattered case. My guess is that someone in the store sold the new case it was in and put the sax in the beat up case which was then stuck in the back room where it sat overlooked for years. I've played the snot out of it, but it still looks almost new.

I am the second owner of a Buescher C-soprano. I bought it sight unseen for $150 from a gentleman that was cleaning out his grandfather's storage unit and came across some saxes that were bought in the mid 1920's. He said that his grandfather played the saxes hours on end, in bands but mostly around the house with his wife accompanying him on piano. The soprano was very well kept and still looks like new. One of my most treasured instruments.

Last, I have a very large collection of Martin and Buescher saxes that I bought from the daughter of a woodwind repair tech who had passed away. During his lengthy career, he appearantly had an affinity for Martins and Bueschers, mostly tenors and had been hoarding them for years. Few of them were in great shape, I think he would pull one out every now and then and overhaul it. The sad part of the story is that the necks were stored separately from the saxes, and the daughter, not knowing that they belonged to the saxes (or what they were for that matter), had thrown the necks and mouthpieces out before I came to pick up the horns. She was very embarrassed about what she had done and ended up just giving me the saxes. I did pay her well for his collection of tools, many of which he had made himself. I have no idea why the necks had been stored away from the cases. I tried desperately to find where the necks went but they ended up deep in a landfill. Over the years since, I've managed to find necks for many of those horns and get them put to good use by myself, my sons and students.

I've got other stories, but that's enough for now.

·
1,124 Posts
Great stories. Love to hear more!
I've got my 1937 Lady Face Conn from Dutch tenor player Wouter Kiers. He neither confirmed nor denied stealing it from an airport in the early 60ies... (actually at that time he wasn't born yet, and mine is silver plate).
My Zephyr alto is a 1953 US horn. So at some time it was somewhere in the army... That's all I know.
Of my SML soprano I can tell that is previously was played in the Fanfare (the marching bands that still are a corner stone of Dutch music culture).
The most interesting story is actually from my Broadwood Square Piano. The Broadwood firm kept excellent records of their instruments, based on serial numbers hand written in the piano. So I could discover that my piano, which dates from 1827, was delivered to the house of Samuel Hoare, esq., son of Samuel Hoare, banker, quaker and a fervent abolistionist. The son followed his father in all but one of these callings (he became a member of the Anglican church). In his house in Hampstead Heath he (or probably rather his unmarried sister Sarah) hosted the famous poets of his day - Wordsworth, Tennyson, Crabbe. It is quite possible that Tennyson might have sat down at my piano to play a bit of Mendelssohn...

Reine

·
19,243 Posts
...he appearantly had an affinity for Martins and Bueschers, mostly tenors and had been hoarding them for years. The sad part of the story is that the necks were stored separately from the saxes, and the daughter, not knowing that they belonged to the saxes (or what they were for that matter), had thrown the necks and mouthpieces out before I came to pick up the horns.
:faceinpalm: Ohhhhhhhhhh, lordy....that hurt just to read it. Probably thought they were busted plumbing fixtures or something.....:banghead:

.....that almost makes me :sad2:......I can imagine what you must have felt like......

·
Clueless how he got this title
1,187 Posts
The previous owner of my Martin Indiana Alto received it from his parents so he could play it in school. My Selmer Mark VII Alto was owned by the previous band director at my school and his parents bought it for him to use for school. Sadly he had a series of strokes and he had to stop playing, so he donated his Mark VII, an older curved Yani soprano, and a collection of clarinets. Sadly I do not know who owned my The Martin Tenor, but that's what happens when you buy from ebay.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My 6M was bought in an antique store, back behind a pile of old Holton trumpets and trombones. The lady had no idea what it was, just a sax, but she seemed very happy to see someone was interested and willing to give it a home. Got it for $300 plus another $300 to get in full playable condition. It has the original case from 1949, and the name "William Michael Cle****." (Don't wanna reveal the guys full name.) Anyway, I looked him up on Facebook (creepin at its best) and I found a guy with that name in my area. So I'm assuming that's him. I guess I could have talked to him if I wanted to.

Now, I am looking at a Selmer Improved K series albert clarinet, aka the clarinet the trad. jazz guys liked to play. I'd like to think it came from New Orleans...

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
My primary alto and tenor were purchased on consignment from the families of the cats who played them. I don't know, specifically, who played the tenor (a '47 SBA that had been played until the pads were falling out), but the previous owner of my alto (70s MKVI) was a friend and band-mate of a few guys I play with regularly. A couple of those guys have said they're glad I have it, which helps... but I also get a sense of not really being the *owner* of these great horns, as much as I'm entrusted with their care until I pass them along, and that they represent a legacy I need to live up to.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I got my 1967 Mark VI from Whitney Sidener, who is the chair of the Jazz dept at the University of Miami.

Here is an online profile of him: http://www.miami.edu/frost/index.php/frost/frost_profiles/jazz-0-sidener_whitney_f_bio/

Check out all the artists he's played with! I'm not exactly sure which of those gigs he was using my horn on, but he had it for many, many years. He may have been the original owner. I'll have to check on that. It's exciting to me whenever I play it to think of all the amazing places it's been and all the great music it's been a part of over the years. It's such a great horn.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I bought an Aritoscrat 140 from eBay. When I got it back from my tech the first thing I played was How "High The Moon". Somehow I felt compelled to play that song, kinda like the previous owner was there conducting. It wasn't creepy though.

21 - 40 of 107 Posts