Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine? The introduction to "Blue Train" (1957).

Classic call and response--perfect IMHO for a ringtone....

But I couldn't find it on any of T-Mobile's ringtone providers; had to settle for Charlie Parker's beautiful tone on "Just Friends" with 1950s strings in the background (though one could hardly call that settling).... :)

So where can I find a Blue Train intro ringtone? Or where's the place to go with the biggest selection? And if they're not accessible through your phone (i.e. only through a PC) how do you get them on your phone? Sorry, I'm actually not completely hopeless from a tech standpoint, just taking the lazy way out by asking all the other "geeks" on here.... :D

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I believe there is software that can download any mp3 file to a phone that can play those files.

That being said, my two favorite ringtones are:

1. 'If I only had a Brain' (remember I teach high school)
2. A recording of a 'real' telephone, circa 1960.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Haku

I'll have to look for that "Wizard of Oz" spoof--never heard it before.

Does anyone else have any experience with downloading ringtones? Specifically, what kind of stuff do you need for the job?

And oh yes, which sites have the best jazz selection?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Convert the song to a mp3 file and blue tooth it to your phone a blue tooth dongle sell on ebay for about $5-10 and once you got one you can transfer files from your phone to the PC and vice versa

i've got these i use as ring tones

Brecker brothers some skunk funk
michael franks doctor sax
AWB pick up the pieces
Go West what you wont do for love
candy dulfer saxuality

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Almost every modern mobile phone, is designed to do everything but act as a reliable phone. The upside of of this, is that they all play MP3 files. They all have the option of setting an MP3 as the the ringtone. To get the MP3 onto the phone you cane use a USB cable hookup with your PC. You could also use bluetooth, infrared, firewire, or any other method.

I used Audacity to crop down Edddie "Cleanhead" Vinson's "Juice Head Baby" and it makes a good ringtone. My only advice on ringtones, is pick something loud and different from everyone elses, and stick with it. This way,when you are at a party, or a BBQ etc, and your phone isn't actually on your person, but in the communal pile known as the "PHONEPARK," your friends and family will soon get to know your ringtone and throw your phone to you when it rings. If you are one of the millions of morons who have that crazy bloody frog, or some other flavour of the month, as your ringtone, no one is gonna know whos phone it is and your just as likely to have your phone thrown in the BBQ when it rings.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
214 Posts
I use Yakety Sax that I downloaded a few years ago. Most people respond when hearing it "Oh the Benny Hill song"

I have the Disney Main St. Parade theme edited and ready to go but I can't figure how to get it from my desktop to my phone. OSX is not the easiest when working on ringtones.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
<musings>

Can you imagine ten years ago putting the words 'blue tooth dongle' together into a single sentence?

·
Registered
307 Posts
On the Dexter Gordon website there is a link to a ton of dexter ringtones at funtonia.com. I'm gonna check it out.

My current ringer is Sonny Rollins "Three Little Words", Definitely different.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Charlie Parker ("Relaxing at the Camarillo" and "Just friends"), and Miles Davis ("So What") is what I'm using alternately right now.

·
4,147 Posts
On a related note, any one know any diatonic jazz songs that I could program into my el-cheapo phone?

·
2,008 Posts
My ringtone is Blue Mitchell's "Fungii Mama" which is a great tune, and the start of it grabs your attention (and the attention of everyone else around too).

Tempting to let it ring for the full 7 minutes 52 seconds and enjoy the whole tune and great solos by Junior Cook and Chick Corea as well as Blue Mitchell.

Rhys

·
1,629 Posts
My favorite jazz tunes are too quiet to be used as a ringtone. So, then you'll need a soundclip with loud trumpet playing :D The first 20 secs of this concert clip does it for me (a part of Freddie Hubbard's solo on Cantaloupe Island):

·
Banned
28,511 Posts

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Jazz ringtones are not a new thing. I had a couple back about 12 years ago on one of my earliest Motorola stupid phones. I used a really great riff from the title tune on the Freddie Hubbard bluenote album Hubtones. Easy to hear in public and totally individual and distinct from all the others around me. Listen and you'll hear why....it begins at 00:20,

The main problem, which I came to regret some months later, was that I then couldn't listen to that tune without thinking my phone was ringing. It demeaned it and made it ordinary and pedestrian and ruined the joy and magic of that great riff. So I stopped using it, realizing that any jazz riff or head would be negated for me in the same way. Now years later I can listen to the song again without that connection, but it took years of not playing the album to get to this place again.

My advice is not to ruin the music you love by dissecting it to make a ringtone out of a piece of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts