Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious is we agree to a few of the classic funky Jazz Tunes that seem to show up at most Jam Sessions.

Here's a few to get us started:

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy
Work Song
The Chicken
Cantaloupe Island
Song for My Father (Although more latin-ish)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
The first three already listed in the OP would probably be in my top 5, but in addition to those:

Cold Duck Time
Night Train
Watermelon Man
Chitlins Con Carne
Comin' Home Baby

I can think of some more that aren't too likely to be called at a jam session; for ex, Alligator Boogaloo (look it up).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Comin' Home Baby is probably the one that gets called the most at my local session (other than the rock stuff like Jump Jive & Wail). We've done Mercy Mercy Mercy a couple times, but the guitar player doesn't like it so we don't very often, which is a shame because that one's always a big crowd pleaser.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Likely to be called in the wrong key.
We’ll sometimes play Sunny which is similar.
If we do Work Song, we play that later version that Cannonball recorded.
https://youtu.be/FOgEXclgAew
I totally forgot about Sunny. Usually only gets called when there is a vocalist.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Great discussion! I love some funk, especially old school jams. I guess some of these aren't "jazz tunes", but a lot of the really funky music comes out of the soul/R&B thing anyhow.

No James Brown? Funky Good Time seems like it would be a good jam.

Also, the Funky Meters Cissy Strut gets played a lot and Ease Back too.

A tune I've thought about learning (along those lines) is that Have a Good Time tune by Brand New Heavies. Great vamp.

Eddie Harris has a few really good ones, Listen Here comes to mind.

I was just playing through Mercy, Mercy, Mercy the other day, what a fun tune that is!

·
23,026 Posts
Yeah, 'Cissy Strut' is very commonly called, so good idea to know that one.

Also 'Chameleon' (Herbie Hancock) and 'Put it Where You Want it' (Crusaders).

I'd call all of these types of tunes 'jazz' but then my definition of jazz is pretty broad. To me there is no real difference between 'blues' and 'jazz', for example. But there is a difference between blues/jazz that is played well vs butchered. I guess that goes without saying :)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Cissy Strut? Really? I've never heard anyone but the Meters and George Porter's Joy Ride (original bassist for the Meters) play that tune. When I was playing college clubs in N.O. that tune was never requested. That's really interesting that the tune actually escaped New Orleans. Wow.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
When I was playing those sorts of club/bar gigs, these were the most common tunes in the groups that I was in:

I Want to Thank You Falettin Me Be Mice Elf
Put it Where You Want It
A Waltz in A (Old closing them for SNL)
Moon Germs
Norwegian Wood in 5/4

Moon Germs and Norwegian Wood were never requested, but we'd jam on them anyway.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Cissy Strut? Really? I've never heard anyone but the Meters and George Porter's Joy Ride (original bassist for the Meters) play that tune. When I was playing college clubs in N.O. that tune was never requested. That's really interesting that the tune actually escaped New Orleans. Wow.
I've never heard it played at a jazz jam. But I've probably played it at least twice a month at the Blues and Rock Jams. Gets played all the time.

·
23,026 Posts
Cissy Strut? Really? I've never heard anyone but the Meters and George Porter's Joy Ride (original bassist for the Meters) play that tune.
Like littlewailer, I've played it many times at blues/R&B jams. So many times, I'm actually pretty sick & tired of it. But it's a good, funky tune, nevertheless.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,591 Posts
Not at a jazz jam, but it’s a funk classic. It’s so widely played that it’s too cliche to play in a real band unless you completely shred it.

·
3,591 Posts
Guys, It’s really lame and kills the vibe instantly when people call tunes at jams that no one knows. If you’re a novice or newbie to a particular jam come with a few tunes you can play your best on and be prepared to sit and watch. As someone who hosted a jazz and blues jam every week for two years, hot players who only have one trick bag and people who insist upon playing tunes people on the stage don’t know kill a session.

·
3,591 Posts
Oh, and the people who call tunes, especially tough ones, that they don’t even know themselves should be banned for six months or more.

·
Registered
137 Posts
All Blues, only version
Cissy Strut, Dirty Dozen Brass Band version
Mercy Mercy Mercy, Cannonball version
Work Song, Cannonball version

1 - 20 of 20 Posts