Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use the A6 V16 medium chamber for my jazz playing. I'm a bit unsure as to what kind of a sound I'm aiming for.

Somehow, to me, it feels like the V16 is lacking a bit of depth. Is it just me or is the V16 a bit urm.. bright-sounding? (when used with 3s rico jazz selects)

Could anyone make comparisons between the A16 and other popular jazz mpc out there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi
I play a 7M V16.
I find that my Meyer 7MM is brighter than the vandoren.
My V16 seems to have a bit less baffle and a slightly larger chamber than my Meyer.
I'm still playing around a little with reeds but Rico Royal 3 and Rico Select Jazz 3S seem to work...also modified Vandoren Traditional 2.5 seem ok.
I haven't played it too much in a combo setting yet.
They V16 alto pieces seems good value for money on alto...I'd like to try one on soprano.

Cheers
Adam

What where you playing on before?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Try La Voz reeds. They give some of the fullness that I also felt was missing with my V16 A7 S. I use it on a (French) Vito, alternating with a Runyon Custom #7. (No spoiler).

·
Registered
6 Posts
V16

I use a V16 A7M and it is my favorite alto mouthpiece. I prefer it to Meyer, Jody Jazz, Beechler and a few others. The only time I don't use the V16 is when I need something louder and brighter. In that case, I use a Jumbo Java A45. I play both with Java 3's. Vandorens seem to be the best for me on alto.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
I had a killer V16 A8S but the facing was too short for me so I went to a 7S and it wasn't so killer anymore...:(

Lambersons are all killer...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey
I just switched to a V16 A8S and Its Awesome. I love it. I play it with 3 1/2 Rico Royals or La voz Medium Hard. Its the best thing I've played. It is bright. But I Love bright!
Harry

·
Banned
695 Posts
I really enjoy the A7 small-chamber pieces. They offer more richness in timbre than the medium-chamber models (which are actually quite large for a medium-chamber. Nonetheless, I really enjoy my BP 10E Meyer 6M; Dr. Tenney does amazing work, but these pieces are not for everyone. I don't know if Dr. Tenney still modifies Meyer small-chamber pieces; those would be interesting.

I believe Antonio Hart and Bobby Watson play on A8S Vandoren V16s. I can't handle the A8 tip opening, so I don't bother.

Best,

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I agree, the M chamber ones just felt dead to me. I have a fantastic A8S but the facing is a bit short for my preference. The A7S was a bit on the small side. But cool pieces for a stock thing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've got one of these on Ebay right now with a Powell reface.

http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106322

It's a nice mouthpiece. I got it as a possible backup but it's a little too different than my normal setup. My main mouthpiece is a 7AS that Eric G. put an .080 facing on and opened up the chamber to something in between an S and M. It's another option for anyone who likes the Vandorens. Eric said that they liked the rubber quality on the V16's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts