Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a Rico ReedGard. Does anyone know how long it takes, or how many times you have to wash it, before it stops making your reeds taste like plastic? It's pretty disgusting.

I wrote to Rico about this, about 2 weeks ago, but they have not deigned to reply. So, I thought I might crowd-source an answer.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I've got one and used it everyday now for about a year with no problems at all.
Haven't tasted anything plastic on any reed no matter how little or long it was left in the 'gard'.

I play with Vandoren reeds mostly.

Maybe you're much more sensitive to tastes than I am?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've never noticed any plastic taste when using cane reeds in them, either.

You might try soaking the guard in vinegar for a bit, then rinsing with water. Vinegar helps deodorizing and removing that plasticky taste from those plastic CamelBak water bottles, I've found. I haven't done that to a reed guard myself, so maybe someone else can verify if this works.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I also have used Rico and Vandoren reedguards for years and years and never had the slightest problem with the reeds tasting of plastic.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
I have owned this product for sop, alto and tenor for many years and have never experienced this. Vinegar. B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
I've been using 'em for years - still have a couple made of aluminum!

The only reed guards that I don't like are the Selmer ones with a tight fitting cover - moldy reeds even here in the high desert! Yuck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I expect the aluminum ones wouldn't produce much of a plastic taste. You wouldn't want to swap one of your old, tired aluminum ones for a nice new plastic one, would you?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
Something very strange going on here.

I have both an aluminum reed guard and a plastic one. I've had them both for at least 20 years (maybe longer, I don't really remember when I bought them). I've never done anything to them except store the reeds and have never detected any plastic taste or other problem.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hi,
recently i also had some of these Rico Reedguards with the strange smell. After storage of some reeds in them the reeds started to smell and taste terrible.
I also got an akward feeling (like a prickling) on tongue and lips when i used the reeds out of this reedguard for some hours.
After a short mail to Rico they confirmed that they had problems with a charge of these and are willing to replace them.
That makes me think about whether the plastic they use for their reedguards is maybe not so good for the health (when there is something outgassing and is passed into the reeds that we take into our mouth, yummy).
A friend, who is chemist once told me, if it (plastic) stinks or is very colourful, take care.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
This is strange. Never had a problem here.

I think florian is right, you shld discard this reedgard as it might not be best for your health. Try contacting Rico again, they've always been helpful to me and fast to reply.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts