Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am specifically interested in what players' think of how (if much at all) the different series' of King Super 20's compare to one another- especially the Tenors, I'm primarily thinking the I-IV series Cleveland horns, (not an eastlake hater btw!). If we can generalise about the type of sound, the playability differences and quirks etc. I know its hard to generalise as each horn is unique and setup makes a huge difference with these saxes - But I have done quite a bit of investigating and have seen the excellent descriptions on Saxpics and this forum- but I'd like some more opinions. Some of the later Cleveland serials are going for quite competitive prices- whilst the older (around 300xxx's) with the full pearls etc. still remain at a higher price. I understand the reasons behind the price difference but until I get to try some more for myself I'm wondering what people can tell me. Sound wise on the examples I've heard the early King super 20's have the more mellow type of sound that I tend to prefer. I'd appreciate any further insight. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,098 Posts
I have a 379xxx super 20 tenor.
I would say it's on the darker side of the spectrum.
Seems to respond better to larger chambered pieces with lower baffles.
Think Johhny Griffin, but I can't play like him of course.
Ergos are excellent in my opinion, modern but without all the unnecessary tilting stuff.
Great bottom end tone with lots of body.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've actually found another thread called 'king super 20 serials' this helped me a lot especially the postings by drwhippet-

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a 300xxx S-20 and a 400xxx Silversonic (as well as a 43xxxx Eastlake SS)

The 300xxx darker mellow good sub tones. The low end is especially expressive. Altissimo more of a challenge for me. I like it for jazz; ballads; acoustic or lightly amplified blues. Seems to do better with bigger chambered mpcs
The 400xx definitely brighter. More brash. Definitely a rocker. okay with med chambered mpcs.

(For the sake of comparisons of the horns I would use the same set ups)

It's all personal preference of course. but as I get older I find I am playing the 300xxx 80% of the time. We are really (and finally) settling in. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I have a Series 2 and before that a 1A and a 3. The !A was on the darker side with great projection and presence. The low Csharp was very heavy due to the design and the palm keys intonation vague. The Series 2 is easily my favourite. Brighter than the 1A, great scale, excellent
ergos and projection.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a 300xxx S-20 and a 400xxx Silversonic (as well as a 43xxxx Eastlake SS)

The 300xxx darker mellow good sub tones. The low end is especially expressive. Altissimo more of a challenge for me. I like it for jazz; ballads; acoustic or lightly amplified blues. Seems to do better with bigger chambered mpcs
The 400xx definitely brighter. More brash. Definitely a rocker. okay with med chambered mpcs.

(For the sake of comparisons of the horns I would use the same set ups)

It's all personal preference of course. but as I get older I find I am playing the 300xxx 80% of the time. We are really (and finally) settling in. Hope this helps.
Out of curiosity, which of your Super 20's is the loudest?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,884 Posts
I played a Cleveland 415XXX for many years and loved it. And then I had enough of it and sold the horn.

·
Registered
196 Posts
There you are. (Couldn't find this thread earlier) I did a comparison using a decibel meter on three horns and posted the results on the Super 20 fan Forum. Just posted today so it should be at the end of the thread.
Cheers

·
Registered
784 Posts
What would be a ballpark value for a series III in good playing order, with the silver neck, about %75 original lacquer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts