Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mk 6 didn't get stolen but Ive often wondered what would get the tone and be a faster /slicker horn in the palms and low alt?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,021 Posts
If my VI tenor got stolen, I'd be very bummed out for sure. But I'd just use my series one Aristocrat, with the 156 'Crat as backup. If all 3 got stolen, I'd go on the lookout for another series one Aristocrat, since I couldn't afford to buy another VI. Sometimes I actually prefer the Aristo to the VI anyway.

"Faster and slicker in the palm keys?" Nothing I can think of would be slicker than the VI, but the Bueschers are fine in the keywork also.

·
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I posted this is that I am selling my Cannonball tenor to my student and I played it again at the last lesson and frankly its "slicker" than the Mk 6. But the Cball tone is smoky and big and I could never hear myself at gigs. Plus it's way heavy.Thats why I agreed to sell it. So, I"m fishing for ideas. I won't have alot to spend (around 1200) but I am aware that there are very good horns coming on the market that I don't know alot about. And I am afraid of something wrong with the 6 without time to run to the shop. K

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Mauriat 66RUL

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I'd try to find a used Barone or CE or similar.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,594 Posts
Sometimes I actually prefer the Aristo to the VI anyway.

"Faster and slicker in the palm keys?" Nothing I can think of would be slicker than the VI, but the Bueschers are fine in the keywork also.

The sound of the Buescher Serie 1 is really pleasant, a kind of a mix between Conn and Selmer but...

can you cope with the pinky table? I find it hard to play no comparison to a MK 6 or how do you see that?

·
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I made a decision and picked up a Yani 880 for around 1275/ Thats what I'll get for the Cball so hopefully that will be a good backup and even a horn I could take to dicy gigs where it doesn't make sense to have a 4K horn sitting on a run down bar stage. K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
If my VI's were stolen I wouldn't need another horn--I'd be spending the rest of my days hunting down the cur that took them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,944 Posts
If my VI's were stolen I wouldn't need another horn--I'd be spending the rest of my days hunting down the cur that took them.
You don't sound very optimistic of finding them.

I was lucky - my Mk VI was stolen in the days before the internet and turned up at a music store when the "alleged" thief tried to sell it.

These days, it'd either be on Craigs list, eBay, or here.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,021 Posts
The sound of the Buescher Serie 1 is really pleasant, a kind of a mix between Conn and Selmer but...

can you cope with the pinky table? I find it hard to play no comparison to a MK 6 or how do you see that?
I guess we're getting a bit off-topic here, now that Keith has found the horn he wanted, but to be honest I don't find the pinky table on the Buescher to be a problem. It's a bit different layout than the VI so it takes a moment to adjust, but once I've done that it seems to work fine. Which is not to say I find it easy to negotiate quickly on the bell tones with either sax. The low C, B, Bb definitely speak easier on the Buescher than the VI so maybe that makes up for any slight difference in the pinky keys. But I just haven't noticed a problem there.

I'm not going to say the ergos on the Buescher are every bit as good as the VI (they're not), but otoh they are still perfectly fine on the Buescher once you adjust to them. At least in my experience...

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
I think you chose well Keith, that's a very good horn. I'm not familiar with all the other horns mentioned but know the Barone and Mauriat are also good. Less smoky, but a ballsy great tenor is the saxgourmet (by the unmentionable southern gentleman). Matched with a Lamberson DD it can bring down the walls of Jericho and has excellent ergonomics. Too bad about the association with You know who, which is probably the main reason it's not popular.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Sold my Mark VI today!!!!! the day I tried a New King I knew the Mark 6 was going..... the Radio Improved is harder to give up...as my friend Mike W. refers to it as a tone monster...it just has that sound!!!!! regardless...for a difference of 2000 euros i can settle for less smokey...... as Keith said.....hearing yourself and feeling good on the gig is NUMBER ONE..... I used to play the Radio Improved at home and the Mark 6 on the gig.....until I finally found another horn that had that kind of presence....and for 4000 euros less!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts