Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a quick inventory of all the jazz CD's I have on my computer. It came in at just over 600 plus I think I might have around 40 that I haven't put on here yet. So I estimate my jazz library to be about 650 albums. That doesn't include Aebersolds or other educational material. That would bring it up over 750.

When I started college, I owned a few swing albums (Glen Miller, Benny Goodman) but that was about it. My first real sax teacher let me borrow and burns some CD's. Some of those are still my favorites. But when I transfered to the university I would graduate from, I still had less than 20 jazz CD's. So almost everything I have I've acquired within the last 4 years. I copied almost every jazz CD in the music library at Texas State. My roommate had a bunch of CD's that I put into my computer. I bought a bunch, often for pennies from other sellers on Amazon. I downloaded from iTunes. I had a subscription to eMusic and got a lot of albums there. Now I'm using Ruckus for free since I still have a .edu e-mail address.

Notably in my collection I have almost everything recorded by Bird, Dexter Gordon, Cannonball, Miles, Vincent Herring, Chris Potter, and Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. Plus a crap load of Sonny Stitt.

So, how many albums do you have?

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I'm not sure that I would advertise how many CDs that I've illegally ripped from others. Not to rain on your parade, but those artists (or their estates) all deserve the slim royalties they make from recordings. On the positive side, I've recently discovered eMusic myself--great assortment of Trane on Prestige, Jerry Bergonzi, and some Claude Delangle.

Now that you are presumably out of school and gainfully employed, I would urge you to limit your acquisitions to items that you purchase.

I've always found that my students, and people in general, will do the right thing if gently prodded in the right direction.

·
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say that everything in the past 2 1/2 - 3 years (after some youthful indulgence) has been completely legal. Either purchasing physical CD's, paying iTunes, subscribing to eMusic (legal), or Ruckus (legal). I don't fileshare so I neither gain nor distribute music in that manner.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Most of my CD's come from the library. I wish I could buy and own all of the CD's I want but it is unrealistic. I do buy a lot of them though. I don't think getting them from the library is like downloading them illegally since we pay taxes to help fund the libraries.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,285 Posts
About 300 CDs in my permanent collection are jazz. I probably buy 30 jazz CDs a year, but I ditch most of them (after putting on the one or two good songs (if any) on my itunes.) About 275 of my CDs feature a sax player. Sadly, about 250 of my CDs predate 1975...I just don't have that much contemporary stuff. Too much of it is either "Been Done Before" or has horrible contemporary production values.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
You can never listen to much. The educational value is worth it.

Lately- I've enjoyed DVD music by Bill Bruford with saxist Tim Garland.

Or a great DVD obout Tom Dowd. Someone who I needed to really know more about. Anyone who has recorded the musicians of such a magnatude from Ornette to Ray Charles and the Allman Bros. deserves our attention. In this DVD was some excellent commentary by guitarist Gary Rossington. Original and still standing Skynyrd member Rossington really offers some solid information on Tom Dowds sucess in the studio. As does Greg Allman and Ray Charles. Inspiring DVD and fun to watch over and over.

Someone I always go back to is Coleman Hawkins. Then from there Bird and Prez. Once that happens-I want to practice!! LOL.

But I listen to as much as I can; Pepper Adams or George Russell wouldn't be as unique without enjoying Stevie Nicks or Glenn Gould. I'm locked into BlueNote stuff to and have spent days/nights with my Dexter Cds or the Sonny Clark Cds I have on BlueNote with Rouse and the guys who set a standard.

It's all worth it for me.I was never a TV person.

Interesting thread!! Nice :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
Tim,

I watched the Tom Dowd piece a few months back as it was in the On Demand section from Comcast. I had heard about it when it came out and wanted to see it then but I didn't write it down and poof it was out of my mind.

The Dowd thing was way cool. Great stuff.

I purchase CD's of artists that I'm interested in that I can't find on Rhapsody. If I check someone out live locally I always try and pick up a CD or two from them.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I haven't been immersed into the jazz world that much, but over the past few years, I've gone out on bought the only parts of my paltry collection.

Just listening to Coltrane, Davis, and Rollins has helped my understanding or jazz, and I love every minute of it :D.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Hurling Frootmig said:
Tim,

I watched the Tom Dowd piece a few months back as it was in the On Demand section from Comcast. I had heard about it when it came out and wanted to see it then but I didn't write it down and poof it was out of my mind.

The Dowd thing was way cool. Great stuff.
snip ;;.

Hurling I know it's very cool- highly recommended to all. :)

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Agent27 said:
I'd say that everything in the past 2 1/2 - 3 years (after some youthful indulgence) has been completely legal. Either purchasing physical CD's, paying iTunes, subscribing to eMusic (legal), or Ruckus (legal). I don't fileshare so I neither gain nor distribute music in that manner.
Great--didn't mean to divert attention from your original topic. I suppose that I've got around 750 jazz CDs and 300 classical saxophone CDs in my collection--not including a fairly extensive collection of vinyl and cassettes, most of it not available digitally, until I get around to the very laborious process of transferring them to digital format.
Nothing is more important than listening!

·
4,147 Posts
How is it possible to afford CDs when in college? I will barely have enough money for reeds, tuition, room and board, and I have a job working 40 hours a week...

That said, I have about 70 jazz CDs, 6 classical sax CDs, and an assortment of classical and classic rock on CD, cassette, and vinal.

·
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Martinman said:
How is it possible to afford CDs when in college? I will barely have enough money for reeds, tuition, room and board, and I have a job working 40 hours a week...

That said, I have about 70 jazz CDs, 6 classical sax CDs, and an assortment of classical and classic rock on CD, cassette, and vinal.
I got a few quite cheaply through the "new & used" sellers at Amazon. There a bunch of CD's you can get for about $3. My college big band did a tour with Wessell Anderson who was lead alto of the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra. I got all 3 of his CD's as a leader for less than $1.50 total.

eMusic is really good also. I paid $20 a month for 90 downloads (I don't think they offer that anymore). Since jazz albums tend to have fewer tracks than other genres, this translates into 10-12 CD's a month on average.

If you're in college (or faculty or alum) and have an .edu e-mail address, you can download a bunch of albums for FREE from Ruckus. The catch is that you have to renew the licenses every month and you can't burn CD's and they don't work with iTunes/iPod.

·
4,147 Posts
I prefer CD's to interent, because some of the liner note information is invaluable. It sounds kind of cheesy, but I just prefer the hard product as opposed to little bits on my computer.

·
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the liners too. But I really only listen to music on my computer or iPod. So the only reason for me to have a physical CD is for the liners and as a backup. So if the digital version is significantly cheaper, I go that route.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Martinman said:
I prefer CD's to interent, because some of the liner note information is invaluable. It sounds kind of cheesy, but I just prefer the hard product as opposed to little bits on my computer.
Boy, it sure is nice knowing I'm not the only one who feels that way.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Martinman said:

I wouldn't worry about it; more important to have a handful of great jazz recordings that you REALLY listen to, and know inside and out, than to have a thousand CDs you've only heard once or twice.

Plenty of time for stockpiling later!

·
Registered
358 Posts
A good way to silence that little voice that tells you downloading is bad: the artist is already dead, so he doesn't need the money anymore :D.

I only have 43 albums :s But they are nearly all my ULTIMATE favorites (Giant Steps, Kind of Blue, Moanin', lots of Miles Davis live CD's)

By the way : am I the only one who doesn't like A Love Supreme and Bitches Brew? I've tried listening to them but they don't seem to interest me in a sort of way other albums do. I mean, come on, Bitches Brew (the song) is boring IMHO, 30 minutes a synth? I can't listen to that in a concentrated way, there doesn't happen anything interesting (think after every sentece IMHO, because I'm sure you guys have got another opinion :p ).

Anyway, I'm gonna listen again to these albums, try to accept them, as everyone says that they are very good.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Agent27 said:
I just did a quick inventory of all the jazz CD's I have on my computer. It came in at just over 600 plus. . .
So, how many albums do you have?
I've got 200+ jazz cd's. But I rarely use them anymore. Almost all my listening is done from the Yahoo Music Unlimited streaming/download service that lets you access as much as you want for $72/year, or $72 for 2 years if you use Mastercard to purchase. http://music.yahoo.com/ymu/default.asp?

Yahoo Music has a great selection, I'm guessing somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000 jazz cd's. Plus probably 100,000+ cd's in other genres.

·
Registered
112 Posts
DukeCity said:
I wouldn't worry about it; more important to have a handful of great jazz recordings that you REALLY listen to, and know inside and out, than to have a thousand CDs you've only heard once or twice.
Yes, I tend to agree.

But then again, using the Yahoo Music service I mentioned in post above, it can be nice to bring up, say, forty or so different recordings of something like Summertime, Night in Tunisia, or Naima and click through listening to the various ways they've been done.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Hammertime said:
A good way to silence that little voice that tells you downloading is bad: the artist is already dead, so he doesn't need the money anymore :D.
[=QUOTE]

Yeah, who cares about their kids who had sto suffered through their endless practicing, road trips, low paid recording sessions and etc.

The truth is that a majority of the classics were paid the day of the recording and proceeds are going straight to the recording company. However, that was their decision to make and not yours. It's illegal and wrong.

Also, think of it this way. One reason why record companies shy away from jazz is that there is little market share. Now that there is such a prevailing community of illegal downloaders, if the jazz fans were to actually start buying all their records that market share might grab a little more attention.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts