Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's weird to think that one day when we're gone our horns will belong to and be played by someone else. Do you happen to know any interesting stories of your horns' histories? What about when you die, where do you expect they'll go?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
This is 'kind of' similar to a recent thread but I'll go again...

I have a 1920's Selmer Clarinet that was owned by my Grandfather. He gave it to me when I was 10 years old, and that is the musical instrument that got me started playing. I still have the Clarinet. I might give it to my cousin before I die since he has the same name as our Grandfather. My cousin is not a musician. Or...one of my daughters might wind up with it.

I have a 1967 Selmer Series 9 Clarinet that my Uncle bought brand new. When he died in 'about' 1980 my Aunt gave it to me. It has been my main Clarinet ever since. I will probably give it to one of my daughters at some point in time.

I have a 1940 Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Sax that was previously owned by Ohio native Sax player Vince Andrews (his name is hand engraved on it by the thumb rest) and prior to that, I was told that it was owned by Clarence Satchell of the Ohio Players Band.

One of my daughters will probably wind up with this horn some day...

·
Registered
987 Posts
I told the old lady to cremate me and put my ashes in it, that's surprise the hell out of whomever tries to pick it up and play it!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
My alto was new when I bought it in 71. I bought my soprano from my teacher in 1977 when the 'new' YSS62 came out. It's a YSS61. I have since found out that he has passed away (anyone know Fumiyoshi Maezawa?) My tenor has obviously had a number of years of love. It's been relacquered, and there is the tell-tale scratch ring on the bottom lip of the bell that tell me that it was used extensively with a microphone. Also, someone scratched a crude 'peace sign' on it at some time.

My bari is pretty new-no other long-term owners.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
Hmmm.
One clarinet came from Marshall Music in Grand Rapids in 1973, another clarinet came from Middletons Music in Grand Rapids in ~2000.
My alto and bari are from SOTW members.
The rest are all ebay horns. I have no history on any of them except for the clarinets.

What ever ones my kids, and grandkids don't want will probably get junked or sold. Hopefully they all stay in the family for a few more generations.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
My nekkid lady tenor came from ebay. My Buffet R-13 clarinet was a graduation gift from my dad. Both are going to the Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation when I depart this veil of tears. My lesser instruments, the Antigua Winds alto and the Yamaha flute will go to a local Catholic high school music program.

http://www.mhopus.org/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,013 Posts
Due to my father's connections, when I was younger I had all sorts of saxophones given to me by retiring musicians who couldn't or didn't play anymore. I'd like to think I could pay it forward and one day give my horns to deserving young players... but not if my family needs the bread.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
My Mark VI alto was my first alto that I actually owned. I bought it new in France in Feb. 1964 for $184 and will keep it until I die then it will probably end up on ebay! The other 40+ saxes came from ebay or SOTW.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
My clarinet (Evette & Schaeffer) my parents bought new for me in high school in the 70's; my alto is really my wife's - she got it at an auction in West Virginia. I currently have two tenors, one bought on SOTW from Florida, and one bought on Craigslist. The most interesting one is probably the Malerne stencil made in Italy I bought from JayeSF, and sold it to another SOTW member in Hong Kong. So it got from Italy, probably to France, somehow to the US at some point, and is now in Hong Kong...

Whatever I don't sell will probably go to my daughter(s) or my local school music program.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
well, it is the same for any of our (prized or not) worldly possessions probably some will be kept as mementoby our closer relatives and some will be simply sold or given away .The first time I had to face thins thing was when I was still working as a photographer and at that time, after along professional practice, I had managed to put together a nice collection of work tools , cameras and accessories , most which I was using for my work but were also my pride and joy. I asked my wife and my son what would they have done with them in case I wasn't there to enjoy them anymore (at one time I had more than 10 cameras of different formats between 35mm and 8" x 10"), and they told me that since they did not really have the same love for those objects that what it would have happened. So, when photography started declining ( and I had decided not to work as photographer anymore) I started selling my cameras and bought saxophones instead.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
The only one of my horns that really has much of a story behind it is my Beaugnier/Vito bari. Leblanc presented it to Cecil Payne; it has his name inscribed in the bell and the keywork was specifically made for him, with no chromatic F# and no side Bb (he used the bis key extensively). It also has a mic pickup on the neck. It's pictured on the front of one of his old LP's called "Bird Get's the Worm". He sold or gave it to a friend of his, Rudy De Harak, a well-known graphic designer who collected saxophones. When Rudy retired to Maine he'd gotten rid of most of his horns (he had thirty at one time, including a bass) but brought Cecil's bari with him. We met while playing in a local big band and he ended up selling it to me. For several years afterward Cecil would come up to Maine it the summer to play at a little venue here and I'd let him play his old Vito so he wouldn't have to lug his Yani around. He was a wonderful, gracious individual, and he sure played the hell out of that horn! Even said he liked it better than his Yani — but I suspect he was just being nice. I don't intend to stop playing anytime soon but at some point I guess I'll have to find a good home for it.

All my other horns were bought new, my Selmer Series 10 has a bit of sentimental value because I obtained it in '70, after my Centered Tone was stolen. The really dumb thing is that I traded my Mark VI tenor for it, but at that time clarinet was my main instrument.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I think about this issue often.In the old days several times there would be a collection of great horns brought in by a widow of a player in a great horn shop I used to frequent . I bought my first Super 20 from such a collection.

My Mrs will sell everything..5 Mark V1's, the Kings, all the flutes, clarinets everything and give the money to charity probably divided up between the WSPA, RSPCA and Greenpeace after throwing a big party for my friends.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I was in High school I was playing on the school rental, Lucky for me that rental was a Selmer Mark VI. I knew when I graduated the horn would get returned to the school and stuck back in the music closet for the next lucky student coming in as a freshman. I'm sure that kid never loved that horn as much as I did.... But this also meant that I had to purchase a horn before graduation.

One day I get called out of my of my classes by the Music director (who was also my private instructor ) down to the music wing of the school. When I arrived at his office he handed me an alto and I was told not to look at it. Up till this point I had been looking for a new Slemer ( I think it was the SA-80 at that time) or another Mark VI. I played the mystery horn for the next 2 hours ( skipping classes I might add ). My director took the horn and returned it to his friend who ran a shop near by and told me that if I wanted the horn they would hold it for me, and that if I didn't take it that he would. He told me not to look at the horn because he knew that I might have looked down on it if I new what it was since I was so hyped up to get a Selmer. I bought the horn the next day spending all the money I had earned at my after school job. It was a Buffet S1 alto. I never thought I could be swayed away from my lust for the mark vi but that Buffet just felt like perfection. My instructor told me if I ever sell that horn that it is his. Its the only horn I have ever owned.

Where will my horn go? I would love to pass it on to my kids who are too young to play yet but if they don't pursue the ways of the sax than I want it to go to some kid who needs a horn... but I want it to go to a kid who can play. This horn deserves better than someone who will play it in school and then put away in a closet. Hell, the horn deserves better than what I can do with it at this point in my life. If I am too old and feeble to play I would love to go to the local high schools and pick some kid who needs a horn and hand it over to him.

I also had a rented Bari sax from my college that I was told was used as a battering ram during the Trojan war. I don't believe thats true but it sure looked it.

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
351 Posts
My Conn 6M alto, by serial # was made in 1945, the date and finish (satin silver) shows it was made for the military. It was purchased around 1946 by a bar owner in Atlanta for his son, who after a couple of months discovered girls and the sax ended up at the bar, used a little by patrons in the early days but spent the most part 40+ years hanging on the wall. When they were preparing for the Olympics in Atlanta the bar was torn down to make room and the owner retired and took the saxophone home. A year or two later a guy that hosted an old bulletin board service was having a conversation with the retired bar owner and mentioned to him that his daughter was interested in taking up the saxophone and the bar owner mentioned that he had an old sax. He went to the guys house and he brought out this tarnished old Conn, still with the original white pads and no case. The guy immediately bought it for next to nothing and took it to Charles Fail who did vintage instrument restorations and he did a complete overhaul and the guys daughter ended up with an almost new 50 year old Conn 6M. About a year later (1998) the "curse of the Conn" struck again and she discovered boys and lost interest in the saxophone so her dad took it back to Charles Fail to sell for him, which is were I found it on his website. Charles had mentioned part of the story to me and I looked up the previous owner and he provided the whole story. Also on a side note, while the sax was in Charles' shop, Southern Living Magazine did a story on the shop and the sax is shown in 2 pictures of the shop. What will become of this saxophone? Right now all the alto playing I do is on my Yamaha 875 and my Super20 Silversonic, I have a nephew that plays saxophone and he's used this one a couple of times when his is in the shop BUT not really sure this one would interest him over one of my more modern horns. I probably should sell this to someone who would appreciate it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
Wow, I'm way too young to think of this.

But, if I were to pass on unexpectedly, the whole kit and kaboodle goes to the wife. She's a sax player too, actually a lot better one than I am.

We don't have kids yet, so I imagine if we both live full long lives and end up with kids who play, then that's the next answer.

Most of my saxes were used, with no history, but here's a couple highlights:

26M alto - bought it off a now deceased former band director who had a warehouse full of old Conns. I just wish I could go back in time and buy more. If it was rare and Conn, he had one in great shape for an unbelieveable price.

VI tenor - My very first fully owned by me sax. Parents bought it for me at the end of a rental period. Refinanced their house to do it... but I was so dedicated they had to daily force me to stop playing so I could eat and sleep, and it got me headed down the path to being a college music major. I just wish I could be that dedicated now... stupid job and responsibilities. I will certainly remember my parents sacrifice for when it's my turn to do the same.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
My The Martin Tenor came from Gayle;
My Buescher Soprano came from Gayle;
My Martin Stencil Tenor came from Ebay;
My Martin Stencil Alto came from EBay.

They are all going to sit around and remind my loved-ones of the blast we all had together after I return to the soil.

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
My BA was my uncle's horn which after many years of playing had been sitting in a closet for several years. I was playing alto but had a chance to get my first playing gig if I had a tenor. I "borrowed" it from my uncle, and it's been in my posession ever since. When I go I'd like for it to go to someone who will use it and appreciate it as much as I have. I'd like to donate it, but I'd hate for it to wind up in the hands of someone who really wanted a new horn, or worse yet nailed to the wall in some seedy bar or restaurant.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts