Registered
177 Posts
Why it TBDBITL - Ohio State!

RM

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's where i'm headed next year, I don't think I can audition because I have a jazz ensemble that meets at that time. bummer

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
I'm a WVU fan.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The Ohio State University. Or University of Cincinnati.

Since your going there next year you should have your director, (McDaniel?) call the Blue Wisp in Cincinnati. They have a bunch of University bands come down and play for a night. (513) 241 9477 ( Ed Felson is the owner )

-Bubba-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
That's where i'm headed next year, I don't think I can audition because I have a jazz ensemble that meets at that time. bummer
I wouldn't cry if I had a chair in jazz ensemble and didn't have to march.

On the other hand, if marching band is your preference, why not make that your scheduling priority?

Sometimes I think they create scheduling conflicts on purpose just to drive you to make choices.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Texas A&M

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For my degree (music ed with jazz as my applied instrument) I have to take a Jazz lab, and the only time it is availible runs into marching practice. For me, I love the tradition of the marching band, and I play the trumpet also and would love to be in that band. But, I chose to do Jazz instead. I'll probably do athletic band on trumpet though

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
I'm guessing they're the ones that make all the racket during basketball games. We used to call them pep bands.

Athletic band: an ardent group of musical athletic supporters.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
That would be the Southern Arkansas University (SAU) "Mule Rider" band.

They aren't very good but I love the name.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
WVU, The Pride of West Virginia

Best band in the land, and we don't need no stinking script!

Here is a clip from when I was in the band in 1983....taken from an old VHS tape, so the quality isn't the greatest, but the music and drill is still kickin! I played sousaphone (one of 24!). In particular, watch the rotation from the 2 minute mark. It don't get much better than this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HerS0csi5PE

·
Registered
272 Posts
New Mexico State University "Pride" marching band 250 strong and I still march in the alumni band after 39 years :). They gave me a full ride in '69 till I got my degree. Most fun I have had with my clothes on (at the time anyway .... )! :D

·
Banned
492 Posts
FAMU (Florida A&M) of 1969,... mainly because my Pop-Pop played in it, and the 60 step thing. We got footage!

Jr.

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
667 Posts
University of Illinois "Marching Illini", especially the years that we had Chief Illiniwek.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Haven't really seen a lot of them, especially in recent years. I remember USL (now ULL) having a pretty good band back in the late 70's when I was in high school.

No one has mentioned the M.O.B. (Marching Owl Band) of Rice! {Watch at the end for the bari player :D } (Rumored to have been originally the Sam Houston Institute of Technology). I had a roomate who's brother went there. He said the drum major used a boat paddle for a baton, and they didn't use uniforms (or maybe sometimes didn't).

I always liked to hang around after the end of the game to hear my own alma mater play this one as the stadium empties.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts