Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite ballad to play on a bari, or what ballad played by a bari player is your favorite..

Mine right now is 'I Remember Bird' by Leo Feather
:)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
A ballad by Gerry Mulligan or song for stayhorn by Mulligan

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sycc said:
A ballad by Gerry Mulligan or song for stayhorn by Mulligan
hehe, both great songs

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
Spring is Here - Charlie Fowles (Count Basie orchestra, great arrangement.... Hefti?).

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Noblese is nice as well by Mulligan and che ore so' on the Gadd gang CD "here and now" as played by Ronnie Cuber is excellent. Che ore so' is a excellent ballad to hear played on a modern baritone(selmer mark VI) as opposed to Mulligan's vintage Conn performannces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
This is not a standard ballad, but Etude for Franca by Mulligan. Although Sophisticated Lady by either Carney or Cuber would have to be up there.

I am unaware of the Adams' Child is Born. Anyone with a recording reference?

Fowlkes Spring is Here is great. One of the few solo recordings he has made.

Mulligan was a great ballad player period.

Bluiett has done some good ballads as well. His sound on the WSQ Breath of Life is killer.

·
4,544 Posts
I play Europa on baritone with one of the bands I frequent...love it...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I think the bari is the ultimate ballad horn. When I saw this thread the first tune that came into my mind was "Round Midnight". Cecil Payne's "I Should Care" ought to be required listening.

·
Registered
652 Posts
After reading this thread, i checked out several of the tunes i had not heard on iTunes and from the lead above aboutNoblese (Mulligan), i found Mulligan's Dream a Little Dream album that is a complete all balad album. After sampling the tracks...i just had to buy it!

·
1,210 Posts
Naima, Infant Eyes, In A Sentimental Mood...
Check out the orignial Tenor versions. They work on Alto, so they should on Bari

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bootman said:
Best Ballad I heard was Zoot Sims on Tenor with the Mulligan Concert Jazz band. Come Rain or Come Shine..........Mulligan does fantastic Ballad work........
gotta love that song...the band i'm playing with has an arrangement of come rain or come shine...but its a vocal feature :(

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Darn That Dream - definitive versions by Gerry Mulligan and Nick Brignola. I love all the aforementioned players, but Brignola really knew how to play a ballad like nobody else.

·
1,254 Posts
Mulligan was definitely where it was at. Man, that guy could play! His ballads and his uptempo stuff is still surprising. The keys he chose to write in are not the normal keys one plays on the stand today. One tune I transcribed started in Concert C (normal enough) then went to Concert G. Another one I am working on, starts in Concert G and then goes to D. I cannot think of the last gig I played, big band or combo, where any one tune strayed beyond the keys of Bb, F, C, or Eb or their relative minors. I wonder if it was those non standard keys that gave him the unique sound he got. He amazes me everytime I hear a recording, even after being gone for eleven years. Pick any ballad that he has played and it will be beautiful and tasteful. He was a true master.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts