Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
Try Google!

The largest manufacturer of pads for musical instruments in the world

Mr. Luciano Pisoni started in 1974 with his own little company to make pads for musical instruments. Year by year, Mr. Pisoni was able to grow the business of his company and now he is proud to be President of "Music Center SpA" , the largest manufacturer of pads for wind instruments in the world, supplying all major brass and woodwind instrument producers and the biggest wholesalers of repair tools and supplies.

Nowadays, Music Center SPA produces a great deal of different pads: all kinds of pads for saxophone, clarinet, flute, piccolo, oboe, english horn, bassoon, contrabassoon and recorder, with different technical aspects and final quality.

Mypads by L.Pisoni, Premium deluxe by L.Pisoni, Lucien deluxeby L.Pisoni, Waterproofby L.Pisoni, LP Pro-Pads by L.Pisoni, STAR LP by L.Pisoni, Sound by L.Pisoni, are all important brands of the big collection of pads.

The success of Music Center SPA in making pads is due to a long tradition of more than 25 years, to the continuous cooperation with customers and with suppliers of raw materials. A constant technological research and development guarantees a high production and excellent quality at reasonable prices.

Music Center SPA combines the best tradition of Italian craftsmanship, high quality of materials, the most advanced industrial technology by using special CNC machinery and skilful management.

Besides the pads, Music Center Spa produces and exports clarinet and saxophone reeds, accessories, double reeds, cane and tools for oboe, english horn, bassoon and contrabassoon

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
I pison them! :D

Sorry.....couldn't help myself.:(

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My tech replaced my selmer alto with new set of Pisoni pads. They are thin and require high repad skills. They play well. However, I find that they are not very water proof-they get darken in colour with moisture easily. Is this normal? Do the Pisoni pads require more dedicated care? I applied pad life on them regularly.

I have other saxophones using light brown pads which are more water proof.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
ppamhk said:
My tech replaced my selmer alto with new set of Pisoni pads. They are thin and require high repad skills. They play well. However, I find that they are not very water proof-they get darken in colour with moisture easily. Is this normal? Do the Pisoni pads require more dedicated care? I applied pad life on them regularly.

Do you know what model of pads exactly from Music Center/Pisoni your tech used? They have many models and some are more waterproof than others.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I don't know the models of the pads. I paid US$75 for them from my sax dealer when I bought a vintage Selmer from him. :?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Which of the Pisoni pads are the best? I have a horn with MYPADS... waterproof by mypads written on the back. They leak badly after a short time in this new B&S horn .. I am not impressed with them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
frasermanx said:
Which of the Pisoni pads are the best? I have a horn with MYPADS... waterproof by mypads written on the back. They leak badly after a short time in this new B&S horn .. I am not impressed with them.
Try Pisoni "Premium Deluxe" pads. Those pads are without that waterproof treatment ("Regular" is allso without). Treatment will make pads to stick and pads with treatment are more expensive.

C

·
0 Posts
ppamhk said:

I purchased a Selmer Signet alto that had been repadded with the Pisoni's. I didn't know the specific type of Pisoni's, but they darkened up on me too. I had the sax for 4 years and the pads held up fine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Lucien Deluxe pads have been great...i have two mark vi tenors with them, one repad is a year old, the other about 4 years now and they have held up well, kept adjustment and don't stick any more than anything else. They feel great too, and I haven't had any discoloration issues. Hope that helps- mike

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
saxjazz42 said:
The Lucien Deluxe pads have been great...i have two mark vi tenors with them, one repad is a year old, the other about 4 years now and they have held up well, kept adjustment and don't stick any more than anything else. They feel great too, and I haven't had any discoloration issues. Hope that helps- mike
Hi Saxjazz42,

Could you inform where can I get the Lucien Deluxe pads? And price? Thanks.

·
4,983 Posts
ppamhk I have the Music Center PDF catalogue and if you want I can email it to you. If you don't want to order a lot you probably don't want to order directly from Music Center but from one of their suppliers. I can recommend Windcraft and Windplus who don't have a minimum order and ship fast (usually one or two weeks to me from UK).

I like the pads from Music Center and stock two models. For some sizes I stock even another model which is waterproof (their Pro model). I haven't had any problems with any of them.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
clarnibass said:
ppamhk I have the Music Center PDF catalogue and if you want I can email it to you. If you don't want to order a lot you probably don't want to order directly from Music Center but from one of their suppliers. I can recommend Windcraft and Windplus who don't have a minimum order and ship fast (usually one or two weeks to me from UK).

I like the pads from Music Center and stock two models. For some sizes I stock even another model which is waterproof (their Pro model). I haven't had any problems with any of them.
Thanks a lot, Clarnibass. Yes, please email me the catalogue. I plan to buy a few sets of pads for my Selmer alto and tenor. I can get them from Music Medic but their delivery time varies - sometimes 1-2 weeks but once it took about 3 months to arrive. Unbelievable!

I would reckon the prices of Music Center are competitive.

·
4,983 Posts
What is your email address? You can send it to me in a private message if you don't want to write it on the forum.

I'm not sure the prices are so competitive, especially now with the still strong Euro and weak $US. The numbers seem to be about the same, except MM is in US dollars and MC is in Euros, so not the same at all, and that's for MC's basic model. They have several models and there are differences between them (the leather is an obvious one you can imediately see but the felt is different too). One advantage from Music Center is you can choose ANY thickness you want! But for something other than the regular thicknesses they offer you pay extra 10%. Another 30% if you order less than a certain amount of pads per size, or less than five identical sets, according to their catalogue. Plus they are very slow, expect one to three months.

If you don't need many sets (and you might want to avoid ordering sets anyway) or many pads of each size, I'd seriously consider one of Music Center's UK suppliers. Good chance it will be less expensive than directly from MC.

·
Banned
327 Posts
So, is anybody going to answer the initial question? I sought out this link because I was wondering about the Pisoni pads. Opinions please?

·
4,983 Posts
Calisax, the best answer I can give is that I've tried several different pads and chose Pisoni for several reasons (quailty and also convinient to order, since I'm not in USA). I think ordering from a USA supplier will be much less expensive for anyone in the USA. I would need to check to be sure but I have tried pads from about seven other makers. By "tried" I mean have them, maybe installed them on a saxophone, but haven't compared them long term. That doesn't include pads I see on saxophoness (which are somestimes the same and sometimes not as some of the ones I've tried).

I have only tried three different models from Pisoni. They have more. Which model specifically do you want to know about (they are different from each other)?

·
Registered
204 Posts
My current horn (that will retire when my new one gets here) has Pisoni pads. They have darkened over the years, but don't leak even after 5 or 6 years of my pretty heavy use. I don't know when the previous owner had it repadded.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts